Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which of my Guns is the Easiest to Shoot

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Which of my Guns is the Easiest to Shoot

I have a female friend/co-worker who has been shooting with me. She is pretty good with a rifle and working on pistol. She can keep 8 or 9 shots out of 10 on smallish (6-8") steel plates at 25 yards with my MKII .22 lr, so I think she has the fundementals down.

The problem comes with centerfire pistols. When we move from the recoil free, light trigger MKII to my other pistols she struggles. Same issue with my wife, who prefers revolvers but is coming around. Which of these would be the best choice to concentrate on?
    G19
    G17
    Beretta 92
    CZ75B
    Sig 225
    Hi-Power
    CZ82

All but the 1911 and CZ82 are 9x19.

I would be happy if they could initially get a mag or two down per session then build on it.

Thanks

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Of those choices, I'd look for the one that shoots the softest with what I assume is std. target ammo. So you're looking for a few things:

1.) Heavier is better. It dampens recoil and reduces some of the "wobble" factor holding on target
    2.) I'm usually looking for a longer slide. Short slides typically have a shorter, sharper recoil impulse
    3.) Something they can control effectively, which means a pistol that fits their (size) of hand
    4.) Generally looking for something without a very heavy or double action trigger (at least if shooting from the long first pull).

Of your choices, I'd throw out the Beretta, given the the size of the grip is fit for someone with big meat hooks (IMO). CZs are awesome, they're heavy and have a good single action trigger. Same with the Sig, but the 225 is sharper recoiling than the 226. But training the DA pull takes time, which is usually something I'd not put a new shooter through.

I'd probably align on the G17 as being a softer shooter than the 19, with a consistent trigger pull, or the 1911, not having shot a Hi Power anytime recently. Then it comes down to recoil impulse of a 9mm in a lighter gun vs. the .45 in a heavier gun as to which they prefer. The CZ75 is a soft shooter, perhaps the softest of those listed, if you want to introduce them to the DA later.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I say the 75B shooting single action because the grip is a little smaller than the Beretta. Hi Power is probably going to give her hammer bite so that's out. I would give the G17 a try to compare to the 75B if she handles that okay. David

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What size glove does she wear? The 225 fits small hands well and lends itself well to dry fire (dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, ball and dummy), but it is on the smallish size.

Does she like any of these guns in particular?

The S&W EZ-380 is an excellent tool for stepping up to centerfire.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My wife struggled with my 17 Gen3, but does well with a Gen4 or 5 without any blackstrap.

I tried some of the more compact guns and they did fit her hand well but then the recoil was a bigger issue than grip size.

Feedback Score
    How did you get a CZ82 blow back design to shoot 9x19? That's the real question.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    How did you get a CZ82 blow back design to shoot 9x19? That's the real question.
    "All but the 1911 and CZ82 are 9x19."

1911 is 45 ACP, CZ82 is 9mm Mak.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I find the beretta to be one of the softest shooting.
    She may have an issue with grip size.

Most women ive shot with shokt g19s well.

Feedback Score
    CZ75 is probably what i would go with. It is heavy so less recoil and grip is smaller than the 92

From my experience transitioning new shooters from 22 to centerfire it is the recoil anticipation that causes issues.

Really work with them on trigger control and pulling the trigger slowly until the gun fires. This should "surprise" them when the gun goes off and reduce the flinch. You could also just have them fire a full mag off at the berm to get used to the recoil before moving to a target

Dummy rounds are of good use as well. Randomly load them in the magazine and watch to see if the are flinching when the failure occurs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    "All but the 1911 and CZ82 are 9x19."

1911 is 45 ACP, CZ82 is 9mm Mak.

Andy
    Gotcha, I must have read that wrong. CZ75 and Glock 19 were the best shooting I think. A lot of new shooters like the G19

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast