Thread: math wiz? sight cant

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

math wiz? sight cant

Okie, unable to find the formula and I've long forgotten my trigonometry. I added a MI fixed front/rear on a rifle, 16", excessive right windage(on rear) to get zero at 50. I didn't notice at the range that the rail was off at the receiver, loosened and aligned it when home. It appeared to have maybe about .050-.062" right cant. The front is back enough to allow a M300 light at 12:00.
    Curious of what that would equate to at 50? I hope to check Friday and hope that corrects the issue before I look further.

Oh-"excessive" the rear aperture was close to the right ear. At mechanical center, I was roughly 5" left at 50.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Ok, I think you’re saying that you moved the front sight sideways by .050 —.062”. Let’s split the difference and call it 0.056”.

It’s a 16” barrel, but you don’t say what the distance is between front and rear sights. Let’s call it 15”.

50 yards is 1800”.

The corresponding shift would be

(.056 / 15) x 1800” = 6.7”

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great! yes, 15" would be about right on the radius. I'm guessing on the shift of the sight with the rail being turned slightly. If that holds true, then I shouldn't be far from center on the rear. My back up plan is to remove material from the front sight, right side where it contacts the rail angle.

Thank you!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks, couldn't seem to locate that earlier, saved now.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I misunderstood something when I first saw your post. Re-reading with the benefit of this morning’s coffee, I now realize that you had a handguard that was twisted to where its rail was misaligned with the receiver’s rail by .050 — .062”. If so, the offset of the front sight would have been greater than that amount because it’s farther from the axis of rotation, roughly double.