Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 260 Rem popping primers on factory ammo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    I'm hooked into 260 Remington pretty deep, bought into that caliber before 6.5 came out and I have so much brass AND a ton of factory loaded Gold Metal Match and Hornady ELD-M ammo for it that is why I use it.

That being said, here's whats going on and I want to kinda run it passed the forum here to make sure I'm going in the right direction of thinking or if I'm WAYYYYYY out in left field.

Les begin the trouble shooting below shall we.....
    ------------------------

I purchased a Saturn Barrels 18in 260 Remington barrel with rifle length gas. At first I was having nothing but stove pipe/double feeds. Got an adjustable gas block and a DPMB Dual Extractor Bolt and that solved the issue of that. Damn gun runs at 7 clicks open unsuppressed and 1 click open suppressed on the gas block. I had this issue on all the platforms I've tried this barrel on so I'm pretty sure the barrel is way over gassed hence the adjustable gas block. I started noticing, especially when suppressed, that after about 10-15 rounds, when the rifle really starts to heat up, I'm literally popping every primer on every shot.

Am I correct in thinking that this chamber is undersized an as the rifle builds up heat is causing massive pressure issues? All I have been shooting is factory loaded ammo that I got pre-insanity pricing via RSR Group and Davidsons, I got a couple thousand rounds of each. This issue happens with both the Federal Gold Medal Match 142gr ammo and Hornady 130gr ELD ammo.

I need to get a Go/No Go gauge and a chamber reamer. Anyone know where I can find those?

Just some info on the rifle itself. It is a DB10 that runs 100% with 308 barrel. I have 2 others in 308 that run absolutely amazing (granted, those both have the barrels replaced with Ballistic Advantage barrels and DPMS Dual Extractor Bolts) I've tested this 260 barrel on multiple other AR10 platforms with same results.
    Brownells or midway for gauges(243,260,308) all the same they may have reamers also. Blown primers can be a sign of excess headspace.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Brownells or midway for gauges(243,260,308) all the same they may have reamers also. Blown primers can be a sign of excess headspace.
    Constructor, this seems almost counterintuitive to me; I would have thought it would be the other way around. Apparently I don't understand headspace (other than knowing it's important). I'd appreciate a short explanation on this if you have the time.

Thanks in advance.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Constructor, this seems almost counterintuitive to me; I would have thought it would be the other way around. Apparently I don't understand headspace (other than knowing it's important). I'd appreciate a short explanation on this if you have the time.

Thanks in advance.

-Rainman
    Extra length in the chamber means there is nothing to back up the primer, it blows out the rear.

Feedback Score

260 Rem popping primers on factory ammo

I had the same primer issue in one of my AR 10 platforms. I solved my issue by changing the bcg to a KAK BCG and used a JP high pressure bolt. I also switched to a heavy buffers from Heavy Buffers.com.

It seemed to me to slow the process down and allow pressure to subside before the extraction and ejection process. Now, it runs any ammo, factory or hand load. I hope you get yours sorted out my friend.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Extra length in the chamber means there is nothing to back up the primer, it blows out the rear.
    Thank you Constructor.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    JWF, are we talking bolt gun or AR10? Gas guns can use the BRT tubes to make the guns less violent in recoil and extraction. Bolt gun is a whole Nuther story.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Update -

I ended up just getting a Wilson Combat 20in 260 Remington Tactical Hunter barrel. Had been debating on going with a 20in barrel to begin with anyways so figured I'd just bite the bullet and get a barrel from a company I've used barrels from before with great success. I'll be function testing today.

The 18in Satern (Liberty Barrels) barrel is I believe a lost cause. I just don't want to mess with it. If someone wants to give me $100 plus shipping for it (I paid $400) and wants to play with it to see if they can get it working let me know, I'm just don't messing with it.

--------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    JWF, are we talking bolt gun or AR10? Gas guns can use the BRT tubes to make the guns less violent in recoil and extraction. Bolt gun is a whole Nuther story.

PB
    This was for a AR10 platform. My bolt gun in 260 Rem shoots flat out fantastic with noth the ammo types I have.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Update -

I ended up just getting a Wilson Combat 20in 260 Remington Tactical Hunter barrel. Had been debating on going with a 20in barrel to begin with anyways so figured I'd just bite the bullet and get a barrel from a company I've used barrels from before with great success. I'll be function testing today.

The 18in Satern (Liberty Barrels) barrel is I believe a lost cause. I just don't want to mess with it. If someone wants to give me $100 plus shipping for it (I paid $400) and wants to play with it to see if they can get it working let me know, I'm just don't messing with it.

--------------

This was for a AR10 platform. My bolt gun in 260 Rem shoots flat out fantastic with noth the ammo types I have.
    Cool, let us know how it shoots. Hope it shoots lights out for you. Wilson makes nice gear. Also let us know about your load and velocity if you get it. 260 is interesting these days.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-13-22 at 20:12.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ughh... Satern Liberty had a whole bunch of Grendel barrels that were popping primers which final conjecture was due to worn out reamers.

Their response to what was clearly a manufacturing problem put me off of Satern in general.

That and some other Satern nonsense in early Grendel days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12