Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ZEV OZ-9X Combat for US DOE

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I look these pistols up and the cheapest I see is over $1400? What the hell?

Not their money I guess.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    I look these pistols up and the cheapest I see is over $1400? What the hell?

Not their money I guess.

It's a super duper customized glock inspired clone. I'm sure the .gov contract cost per gun is nowhere near the advertised MSRP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCtueJ-sZE

Skip to the 11 minute mark for the field stripping showing the metal modular fire control unit, in the flavor of the Sig 320.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Skip to the 11 minute mark for the field stripping showing the metal modular fire control unit, in the flavor of the Sig 320.
    So what does the modular fire control do for you other than allowing you to swap out the grip unit? I've seen no evidence that they make guns perform better. Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. Not that there's anything particularly bad about it, but I can't see paying anything extra for a gun that has one.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have a few OZ9s, Shadow Systems, and of course Glock guns.

the OZ9 is a really flat shooting gun (as all Glocks are). I'd say they shoot flatter than the Glock, they are heavier so a touch softer, and they had a 1911 flat backstrap grip angle if that's a plus for you. Magwell is a win, and the trigger is nicer. Honestly the OZ9 feels absolutely great to me in my hand - they did some nice work on the grip module contouring. In fact I'd say the OZ9 is the flattest shooting non-comped non 2011 9mm gun I've ever shot.

Mine don't run worth a darn with provided Pmags, but that's not just a Zev problem. Mine have run fine so far with real Glock mags.

RDS setup is very nice on them. Dot sits nice and low directly mounted to slide.

OZ9 can be found 25% off pretty easily. Probably the govt version purchased has simpler slide cuts or hopefully no (crap catcher) holes machined in the slide. Bet Zev gave them a great deal just to get on the .mil/LE radar.

Shadow Systems run awfully close for less $ and have more flexibility to fit the user with interchangable backstraps. My shadow systems guns have not burped yet, regardless of magazine used.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 08-07-22 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    So what does the modular fire control do for you other than allowing you to swap out the grip unit? I've seen no evidence that they make guns perform better. Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. Not that there's anything particularly bad about it, but I can't see paying anything extra for a gun that has one.
    The increased weight combined with grip make it a flatter shooting gun with less muzzle rise. While it’s not as flat as say an Atlas or all steel 1911, comparing it to gen5 G17 and SS DR920 , it’s a noticeable difference.

OZ9 Combat can be had for less then $1200. Factor in rmr cut, upgraded trigger, upgraded sights, and grip/texture compared to oem glock…it’s really not that much more then adding those on your own. But like I said, you also get the extra weight and steel receiver that slide reciprocates on. Honestly another benefit at least for me is the slide stop is recessed into/shielded by grip. So in my case I have a very high and aggressive grip that often times on oem Glocks interferes with last round lock back, but not with OZ9.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-07-22 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    As the owner of a CZ 75B (and a CZ 97B), you definitely notice the weight of a steel frame.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Just stating facts. Doesn't affect me at all. I don't own a glock or any expensive derivative of one.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    I think we've come full circle if people are willing to pay extra for the added weight of a steel frame. Whatever happened to ounces are pounds?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think we've come full circle if people are willing to pay extra for the added weight of a steel frame. Whatever happened to ounces are pounds?
    In this case we’re talking full size duty guns so the ounces = lbs thing isn’t as relevant as a consideration as if we were talking bug or ccw. Maybe it is for some, but it seems most care about reliability, performance, and cost in this category.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-08-22 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    There’s this thing called the gym. If a few ounces extra on a duty sidearm is too much I suggest getting your butt into the gym.

Furthermore this is for Department of Energy, those guys don’t spend a lot of time humping their gear around on foot.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast