Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USSOCOM adopts the AT-802U Sky Warden

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

USSOCOM adopts the AT-802U Sky Warden

Basically the poor mans A-10:

WASHINGTON — U.S. Special Operations Command on Monday announced it has selected the AT-802U Sky Warden, made by L3Harris Technologies and Air Tractor, for its Armed Overwatch program.

The indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract will be worth up to $3 billion, L3Harris said in a release Monday. The initial program contract award is for $170 million.

Air Tractor is an aircraft manufacturer from Olney, Texas, that typically makes firefighting aircraft and agricultural planes such as crop dusters.

Initial production of the Sky Warden will take place at Air Tractor’s facility in Olney. L3Harris will then modify those planes into the Armed Overwatch mission configuration at its Tulsa, Oklahoma modification center, beginning in 2023. L3Harris said work will also take place at its other sites in Greenville, Rockwall and Waco, Texas and Nashville, Tennessee.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022...rwatch-effort/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I can say, the AT-802 is a bad ass platform so this could be a really awesome overwatch platform. Long loiter times and massive payload capacity. The armor around the cockpit is added bonus and makes this even more like an A-10. It can stay in theater long enough the pilot will need a break before the plane needs refueled.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel556 View Post
    I can say, the AT-802 is a bad ass platform so this could be a really awesome overwatch platform. Long loiter times and massive payload capacity. The armor around the cockpit is added bonus and makes this even more like an A-10. It can stay in theater long enough the pilot will need a break before the plane needs refueled.
    And compared to other options, a bargain $ no doubt. It's cool and interesting that with all the high tech stuff we have, a low and slow fancy crop duster is being used today. They could have gone with some drone that costs far more and half as good in the role. Good on them.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Oddly enough, the pilot who does our crops flies one of these, but its bright yellow.

He was out today doing the neighbors property. I imagine he pretends he is doing CAS missions while banking and diving and "strafing" those pesky weeds and bugs in the corn.

Feedback Score
    A family friend just got a new 802 this spring. Every summer he participates in the “war on bugs”.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I remember watching those crop duster planes and helicopters when I lived in South Texas and those pilots were nuts. They would fly at like 30 feet off the ground straight towards power lines and then pop straight up at the last second to go over them.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Crop dusters of death.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I guess this is the 21st Century version of the A1E Skyraider? I'll bet it isn't tank-like in it's build like the Skyraider was, but given modern technology in weapons systems it might not be necessary to run in low against heavy AAA striking the Ho Chi Minh Trail or supporting a MACV-SOG team. Stand-off weapons with pinpoint accuracy is the ticket!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    It’s pretty close. 1100lbs of armor added over the ag model. 59’ wingspan, 36’ long, and needs a 13’ hangar door, this is close to a Skyraider.

https://airtractor.com/aircraft/at-802a/
    6700lbs, 1200shp engine, 16k lb gross weight

https://802u.com/aircraft-specifications/
    7836 lbs empty weight, 1600shp engine 16k lb gross weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast