Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to you reloading 9x19?

Feedback Score

Is it worth it to you reloading 9x19?

I have a turret press.

I don't have many bullets left and I'm undecided I'd it's worth it.

I enjoy the 147 gr LFN bullets on 3.0 or 3.1 gr of Titegroup.
    They are at about 24k psi and 835 fps from a pistol. I'm surprised they run but they do. They are so quiet, comparatively, from a carbine!

They cost me about $11.50 / 50 to load on purchased, fired, cleaned brass. (Worth buying so I dont have to pick it up, sort it, and clean it)

But I can buy 147 gr 9mm, with plated bullets (meh...less accurate) from Freedom Munitions, for $15-$16 / 50.

It's pretty close.

Anyway, is it worth reloading 9x19 for you?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Always has been for me.
    I can load a bullet of my choice at a velocity I want to run and tweak it to maximize accuracy in a specific pistol.
    I run JHPs most frequently in handguns, FMJs in AR9s.

The price of components, particularly the insane upswing of primer costs, has killed any real or imagined cost savings over factory. But I’m not reliant on availability of a particular factory load.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I enjoy loading 9x19, and technically it is cheaper than buying loaded ammo for me. I think I actually load it because the "powder puff" 124gr plated/4.0gr HP38 gets my wife out shooting a lot more, which means I get out shooting even more!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    9mm reloading is cheap and easy.

Pump them out on an LNL like candy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    9mm reloading is cheap and easy.

Pump them out on an LNL like candy.

What's an LNL?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    What's an LNL?
    Hornady Lock N Load progressive press.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I have a turret press.

I don't have many bullets left and I'm undecided I'd it's worth it.

SNIP...

Anyway, is it worth reloading 9x19 for you?

The bulk Hornady boxes in 9mm are about 50lbs and 3k worth of projectiles each.

Were not only cheap just a few years ago but also good for pissing off your postal lady!

For good quality, jacketed bullets...

Better bullets were also available relatively inexpensively not long ago and a guy could have stacked those up as well...

Is going to be a good while before I need to buy anything to load whatever kind of 9mm ammo I want. Several cases of ammo will need to go down range before I even start to get low on components and have to think about what the current ass rapey prices are.

Same thing with pig ears. A guy can buy a bag of 10 at todays prices and hope nothing happens to the supply chain that would affect availability and / or what currency inflation might do next week or next month before he runs out and has to resupply or...

The guy can lay in a big pile and be stocked up for a while to get him through any supply or price blips.

Much less stress when you are well stocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Hornady Lock N Load progressive press.
    Ah, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    The bulk Hornady boxes in 9mm are about 50lbs and 3k worth of projectiles each.

Were not only cheap just a few years ago but also good for pissing off your postal lady!

For good quality, jacketed bullets...

Better bullets were also available relatively inexpensively not long ago and a guy could have stacked those up as well...

Is going to be a good while before I need to buy anything to load whatever kind of 9mm ammo I want. Several cases of ammo will need to go down range before I even start to get low on components and have to think about what the current ass rapey prices are.

Same thing with pig ears. A guy can buy a bag of 10 at todays prices and hope nothing happens to the supply chain that would affect availability and / or what currency inflation might do next week or next month before he runs out and has to resupply or...

The guy can lay in a big pile and be stocked up for a while to get him through any supply or price blips.

Much less stress when you are well stocked.
    Nice!

Yes, I'm not far off from being "set", too.

The goal is to retire with enough ammo, guns, mags, etc. to last until my end. Even if you have "stuff" you decide you don't want later it can be traded for something you want.

I'm probably there. But, you know, we always want "just a little more".

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I just bought 115ball brass cased GECO ammo for $256/thou to my door. Pretty good deal by today's standards as the running price is just over $300/thou delivered.

With that said, I can save at least $100/thou (or a dime a round) by reloading. Have a Dillon 550 so I can crank it out. When I'm honest about time spent loading primer tubes, setup and cleanup and a little QC and documentation, it takes at least 3 hours to load 1000 rounds. $33.00 an hour. I'm sometimes indifferent to that savings as my time is already so constrained.

If I want subsonics, reloading is 100% the way to go as you can't buy bulk ammo that cheaply (maybe $350/thou on a good day). Same for accuracy ammo.

I have tons of powder/primers/bullets that I bought before the recent mayhem.

This 9mm calculation will change drastically when I retire.

Other chamberings - 45ACP, 38 super, 9x23, 223/556, any centerfire bolt rifle rounds all have much higher savings per round, or for my precision guns the only way to get ultimate precision is to reload.

So 9mm is at the bottom of the savings per unit of time reloading for me. That's why I often still buy factory ammo, especially if my choice is an afternoon shooting versus an afternoon reloading.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 08-07-22 at 14:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast