Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it worth it to you reloading 9x19?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It depends on your goals and what equipment you have.

Loading simple range fodder in 9mm is one of the least economical calibers to reload vs. factory with primers being ~$0.8 per, assuming you can find them, if you don't mind shooting 115 gr. training ammo. That's particularly true if you're buying new brass an not reusing the cases. That stuff is a bit dirty and not terribly accurate, but if you're shooting at close distances, it's fine.

The question you need to answer is, what do you want out of your ammo, besides low cost...and can you tell the difference when shooting it?

Want a load that shoot softer than factory?
    Want a load that's more accurate than factory?
    Want a load that more accurately replicates your defensive ammo, but is economical?

The list goes on as to what's possible. With reloading, you can control the variables and for many, a little experimentation is fun. If you shoot enough to where you can tell the difference and want to get the most enjoyment from your hobby, reloading can be a natural extension of that hobby.

You can buy equipment to match your shooting volume, but I am very spoiled by my Dillon XL650 with case and bullet feeders. Having good equipment really helps with the satisfaction level for me. Poor equipment quickly leads to frustration.

For me, the answer is yes. I have a 9mm load that shoots softer and is more accurate than anything I can buy. It's very satisfying to shoot vs. typical range fodder.
    Last edited by mizer67; 08-07-22 at 18:56.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you have to decide between 9mm and bolt gun ammo, I just buy 9mm and Mark loads bolt gun ammo. That shit is expensive and Mark kills bolt ammo. We shot 250 rounds of 9mm today and not once did I think, I wish Mark loaded that shit. But If you shoot only pistol, its still good business.
    We banged on some MP5 and MPX guns today, hence the 250+ ammo bag bang.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Every so often I load 9mm just to do something different. I can barely keep up with rifle ammo though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    See for me, reloading bottleneck rifle rounds at higher volume isn't fun.

I need an automated trimmer that also chamfers. I have a Giraud, but that's still a heavily manual process.

I'd much rather reload straight walled pistol cartridges.
    Last edited by mizer67; 08-08-22 at 09:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    It depends on your goals and what equipment you have.

Loading simple range fodder in 9mm is one of the least economical calibers to reload vs. factory with primers being ~$0.8 per, assuming you can find them, if you don't mind shooting 115 gr. training ammo. That's particularly true if you're buying new brass an not reusing the cases. That stuff is a bit dirty and not terribly accurate, but if you're shooting at close distances, it's fine.

The question you need to answer is, what do you want out of your ammo, besides low cost...and can you tell the difference when shooting it?

Want a load that shoot softer than factory?
    Want a load that's more accurate than factory?
    Want a load that more accurately replicates your defensive ammo, but is economical?

The list goes on as to what's possible. With reloading, you can control the variables and for many, a little experimentation is fun. If you shoot enough to where you can tell the difference and want to get the most enjoyment from your hobby, reloading can be a natural extension of that hobby.

You can buy equipment to match your shooting volume, but I am very spoiled by my Dillon XL650 with case and bullet feeders. Having good equipment really helps with the satisfaction level for me. Poor equipment quickly leads to frustration.

For me, the answer is yes. I have a 9mm load that shoots softer and is more accurate than anything I can buy. It's very satisfying to shoot vs. typical range fodder.
    I think you've detailed the delima well.

I much prefer the ammo I make for the reasons you state but they do take time to make.

Hardly any company makes the 9mm I like to shoot. 147 gr lead loaded mildly. Jacketed would be acceptable but that sells for closer to $20 / 50. Companies that sell 147 gr at $15 / 50 use plated bullets and the accuracy stinks. I'm firing at least half through PCC's and it's easy to see the difference.

I'd like to see more companies selling lead / coated lead 9mm mild reloads at reduced cost.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    use plated bullets and the accuracy stinks.
    I've loaded some plated Berry's Bullets that had very acceptable accuracy. But we got a bunch of 124 gr (I think) bullets that are AWFUL! I mean like 10" groups at 5 yards or something.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Yeah, i reload blue bullets, 147 gr subs for uspsa and a silenced machingun.

Im trying out 135gr to cut cost more, but im at $11/50 for accurate subs. Cheaper than I can find them.

Once I run out of brass, I buy factory and start saving again.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    See for me, reloading bottleneck rifle rounds at higher volume isn't fun.

I need an automated trimmer that also chamfers. I have a Giraud, but that's still a heavily manual process.

I'd much rather reload straight walled pistol cartridges.
    Trimming is the worst part of the process. I cant stand it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-08-22 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've loaded some plated Berry's Bullets that had very acceptable accuracy. But we got a bunch of 124 gr (I think) bullets that are AWFUL! I mean like 10" groups at 5 yards or something.
    Yes they were horrible, just ridiculously poor accuracy. We bought some RMR 147's that shoot lights out. With us shooting around 200 rounds of rifle ammo weekly, 9mm is best to be purchased.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12