Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Kabar TDI after several months of daily carry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thoughts on the Kabar TDI after several months of daily carry

TLDR: It's awesome and you should probably get one, too!

When I first started seeing these I thought they were pretty silly, but after hearing an explanation for their use my opinion of them slowly changed. If you haven't heard Kabar's sales pitch, the purpose is to violently distract someone who's going after your gun.

For example, let's say you were to be physically accosted by someone, and, upon reaching to draw your gun, they start trying to disarm you. The TDI's purpose is to be carried on the weak side and drawn with your weak hand, and used to deter the person by slashing at their face. So your strong hand would be gripping your pistol, and the assailant would have both of his hands on top of yours, trying to prevent you from drawing. And with your weak hand, you would draw the TDI.

While this sounds like overkill on the surface, it's actually the likeliest scenario that we as daily carriers would face. If you're at all familiar with the laws, you know it's virtually illegal to draw on an unarmed person until you actually start taking damage, at the earliest. By which time, the chances of being disarmed and shot with your own weapon are extremely high.

As far as effectiveness, I think it's probably highly effective for the role it's intended. I don't know if anyone's ever used one in real life yet, but having someone slashing at my face with one would, I believe, cause me to involuntarily use both my hands to defend against it. Sharp metal objects in people's eyes tend to have that effect on them, so probably doesn't take a genius to rightfully conclude it would work as advertised.

Use case aside, the knife is extremely comfortable to carry in its intended IWB appendix position. I opted for the smallest one (called the Investigator), and I forget it's there. It conceals very well under a T shirt, and it doesn't dig into me even when sitting or bending over.

It's also very fast and easy to draw with your weak hand. The shape and position and mode of carry are all very conducive to making it easy and intuitive.

My one complaint is the factory sheath. It's downright useless, and you should plan on getting an aftermarket one. There are many available, and they all look pretty capable. I got mine from T5 Custom, and I think it's extremely good for the price, and just in general. They also delivered in the timeframe promised. 10/10 would recommend them.

P.S. If any of you artisanal types out there are reading this, I would LOVE to see G10 grips available for these knives. The factory plastic grips are adequate, but they lack any useful texture, which seems to me to be an oversight, considering the use case for the knife must presuppose that any actual use would by default mean the entire knife, handle and all, would be covered in blood. I'm sure Kabar resisted the urge to use G10 out of cost concerns, but I think most people would see the benefit of them.
    Last edited by okie; 08-05-22 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have it. Prefer the Clinch Pick. What other knives have you tried or considered for this role and what lead you to choose the Kabar?
    Last edited by Disciple; 08-05-22 at 18:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Have it. Prefer the Clinch Pick. What other knives have you tried or considered for this role and what lead you to choose the Kabar?
    Until now, I didn't know there were other options. Besides the sheath, though, I have no complaints with the TDI.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Fair enough. You would likely find the ShivWorks material of interest. Some teaser-length free content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNFvOaqh94
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tUG01vTiA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgqD1SUWBo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Fair enough. You would likely find the ShivWorks material of interest. Some teaser-length free content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNFvOaqh94
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tUG01vTiA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgqD1SUWBo
    Might be the better mousetrap. I didn't have time to watch all those, do they demonstrate at any point using it on the weak side for handgun retention?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post

TLDR: It's awesome and you should probably get one, too!

When I first started seeing these I thought they were pretty silly, but after hearing an explanation for their use my opinion of them slowly changed. If you haven't heard Kabar's sales pitch, the purpose is to violently distract someone who's going after your gun.

For example, let's say you were to be physically accosted by someone, and, upon reaching to draw your gun, they start trying to disarm you. The TDI's purpose is to be carried on the weak side and drawn with your weak hand, and used to deter the person by slashing at their face. So your strong hand would be gripping your pistol, and the assailant would have both of his hands on top of yours, trying to prevent you from drawing. And with your weak hand, you would draw the TDI.

While this sounds like overkill on the surface, it's actually the likeliest scenario that we as daily carriers would face. If you're at all familiar with the laws, you know it's virtually illegal to draw on an unarmed person until you actually start taking damage, at the earliest. By which time, the chances of being disarmed and shot with your own weapon are extremely high.

As far as effectiveness, I think it's probably highly effective for the role it's intended. I don't know if anyone's ever used one in real life yet, but having someone slashing at my face with one would, I believe, cause me to involuntarily use both my hands to defend against it. Sharp metal objects in people's eyes tend to have that effect on them, so probably doesn't take a genius to rightfully conclude it would work as advertised.

Use case aside, the knife is extremely comfortable to carry in its intended IWB appendix position. I opted for the smallest one (called the Investigator), and I forget it's there. It conceals very well under a T shirt, and it doesn't dig into me even when sitting or bending over.

It's also very fast and easy to draw with your weak hand. The shape and position and mode of carry are all very conducive to making it easy and intuitive.

My one complaint is the factory sheath. It's downright useless, and you should plan on getting an aftermarket one. There are many available, and they all look pretty capable. I got mine from T5 Custom, and I think it's extremely good for the price, and just in general. They also delivered in the timeframe promised. 10/10 would recommend them.

P.S. If any of you artisanal types out there are reading this, I would LOVE to see G10 grips available for these knives. The factory plastic grips are adequate, but they lack any useful texture, which seems to me to be an oversight, considering the use case for the knife must presuppose that any actual use would by default mean the entire knife, handle and all, would be covered in blood. I'm sure Kabar resisted the urge to use G10 out of cost concerns, but I think most people would see the benefit of them.
    What knife holster is that?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by studenygreg View Post
    What knife holster is that?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    T5 Custom.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review.

I've looked for years for even an excellent knife / sheath, let alone perfect, and haven't come close.

The problem is always the sheath. I want a fixed blade, concealable, with a sheath I can trust to not be penetrated by the blade (and stab / cut me) and not come with the knife when I draw.

Pocket or belt.

I don't mind if it's a little heavy and can be as much as 9 inches long.

When I carry a knife it's either a simple folding pocket knife no good for SD or a folding Cold Steel Recon 1. It locks up well, has a good grip, and it's big. Not a great metal, very slow to open. Support side use? No way.

Plenty of knives fit the bill but the sheaths are lacking.
    So I hear ya.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-14-22 at 17:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks for the review.

I've looked for years for even an excellent knife / sheath, let alone perfect, and haven't come close.

The problem is always the sheath. I want a fixed blade, concealable, with a sheath I can trust to not be penetrated by the blade (and stab / cut me) and not come with the knife when I draw.

Pocket or belt.

I don't mind if it's a little heavy and can be as much as 9 inches long.

When I carry a knife it's either a simple folding pocket knife no good for SD or a folding Cold Steel Recon 1. It locks up well, has a good grip, and it's big. Not a great metal, very slow to open. Support side use? No way.

Plenty of knives fit the bill but the sheaths are lacking.
    So I hear ya.
    That's the one thing this knife was designed to do. You can draw it with your strong hand in a reverse grip if necessary, but it was created from the ground up for the specific purpose of using with your weak hand to dissuade someone from trying to prevent you from drawing.

Feedback Score
    Been a fan of the TDI knives for years. Have them on a lot of chest rigs also.

Like that sheath, will have to find one. As Okie said the standard Kbar sheath that comes with these kinda sucks.

The clinch pick is a great option also, definitely want the aftermarket sheath on that also. Craig is a great trainer and his knife class is great.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast