Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revival of the M&P 9 1.0

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Revival of the M&P 9 1.0

This weekend I headed to the range to test out a newly fixed Star PD and run a PPS M1 through its paces. For some weird reason, and even thought I'm normally a DA/SA CZ/SIG shooter, I durg out my M&P 9 1.0. Dry fired a bit, and decided that I could 'be safe' with my largely stock MP9 with a Apex Sear. The Apex sear gives me a little takeup, a sort of rolling, but crisp break - hard to describe. I was a bit concerned with all the crap about MP 1.0 accuracy that I'd see a notable difference with my CZ P07 which is VERY accurate, but while there is a difference, it doesn't seem like that much. I also double tapped very well with it on dot torture. I'll probably just get a holster and drill with it, but I wonder what other mods I might do - not sure I want an Apex Flat trigger especially if it makes it 'too crisp and light'.

In any case, these guns aren't bad at all - I WILL get new sights.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've owned three M&P 9mm 1.0's and not one was accurate at 25 yards. The worst one couldn't do better than 10" for 10 rounds. None was better than a 6" gun and that's being generous.

In 2022, there's just no reason to buy a striker fired polymer pistol and have to rebarrel to get it to perform. So many better options that shoot well out of the box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I've owned three M&P 9mm 1.0's and not one was accurate at 25 yards. The worst one couldn't do better than 10" for 10 rounds. None was better than a 6" gun and that's being generous.
    In 2022, there's just no reason to buy a striker fired polymer pistol and have to rebarrel to get it to perform. So many better options that shoot well out of the box.
    This is interesting. I've purchased 9mm and 10mm M&P 2.0's recently. Both are outstandingly accurate. I was surprised by this. Perhaps I just got lucky or perhaps S&W finally ironed out the issues. I'm glad I was late to the party.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    SW did - they make excellently accurate guns NOW just like they always did.

For whatever reason the 1.0 version was reportedly a dog - I have NOT shot enough at distance or even shot enough to give a real assessment - I fired maybe a hundred rounds at 7/10 yards and saw no BIG difference than my CZ which I know is very accurate.

I should probably bench it where I can do so. But, I've never been that good at that.

If they prove not so hot. I wonder about scrapping them and buying a 2.0 or two to replace, OR going the APEX route, etc.

This thread is about what I should do with my 1.0s and not what others who don't own one should do - ditch, lose some bucks and rebuy a 2.0 or rebarrel, etc.
    Last edited by m4brian; 08-08-22 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 9mm version 1.0 was a flawed pistol w.r.t. accuracy and that was well documented at the time. The OP referenced the 1.0.

The 2.0, I'm not in tune with what all was changed, but don't believe they have the same issues.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There was definitely a “batch” of 1.0 guns that had meh accuracy. Nort sure if there were in .40 or 9MM. The factory corrected the issues pretty quickly and drove on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...p-P-9-accuracy

It was the 9mm version and I remember reading it years back - then the MP went into the safe and I got into DA.

I actually like the beavertail and again, at close range I can double tap well. Just debating the merits of keeping at this point. BTW - watched a vid where a Glock user rents old M&Ps and they run for tens of thousands of rounds with no problems and only very minor parts replacement. Very durable and reliable guns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't think it was all of the 1.0 pistols. Mine shoots as good as anything I have.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    The 9mm version 1.0 was a flawed pistol w.r.t. accuracy and that was well documented at the time. The OP referenced the 1.0.

The 2.0, I'm not in tune with what all was changed, but don't believe they have the same issues.
    The accuracy issue of the 1.0 9, was hit or miss, no pun intended. Some were acceptable for accuracy, some were not. Otherwise a reliable pistol with good ergos. With an Apex trigger kit, had a lot of 1911 owners finally jump ship due also offering a 1911 like thumb safety. Mine had acceptable accuracy. Nothing as good as my VP9, but acceptable for SD/HD. I kept the 1.0 with Apex as a back up to current primary, the VP9.

I briefly played with a recent gen m&P 9, seems like they have made real improvements on the triggers, but no range experience personally.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While the barrel fit on my MP9 is not quite as tight as other guns, the dwell time is nill. As soon as the barrel starts back with the slide, it drops. If you do this with a P07 its a light year before the barrel drops. I'll have to admit that my Glock dwell time MIGHT be more but not by much. I think there are a combination of issues to include dwell time.

I am hesitant to 'give up' on the 2 I own. I tested a MP 2.0 Compact in a local shop and I like my trigger and grip better (I stippled my own).

Let me revise - the dwell time is smaller than my hammer guns - My G19 and SW SF guns have a smaller dwell.

I do wonder what rebarrelling will do - but I'll shoot much more before doing it. The trigger with just the APEX sear is very good.
    Last edited by m4brian; 08-09-22 at 06:44.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast