Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt "Gold" extractor spring vs Sprinco 4 coil

Feedback Score

Colt "Gold" extractor spring vs Sprinco 4 coil

I just used my last Colt gold/copper washed ejector spring on one of my ar's that was showing weak and erratic ejection, and it fixed the problem. While I was looking through my "box-o-parts" I found a baggie of 3 sprinco "enhanced" 4 coil ejector springs, inserts, and o rings that I don't remember buying. I searched, and pretty much everything was about the Sprinco 5 coil XP springs, not much about the 4 coil. My question is, how do they compare to the Colt springs? Are they pretty much the CS version of them? Do I need to use the o ring, or is just the insert enough?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From a prior discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlew View Post
    I remembered having tried a Sprinco 5-coil at some point, and when I went to look for it in the parts box just now, I found that I had one of their 4-coils as well. So I measured….

Colt copper-washed: wire diameter .026, ends ground, approx 3-1/2 turns by my count. Free height ~.175

Sprinco 5-coil: wire diameter .025, ends not ground, approx 4-1/2 turns. Free height ~.225

Sprinco 4-coil: wire diameter .026, ends ground, approx 4 turns. Free height ~.190

Damage Industries copper-washed: same measurements as Sprinco 4-coil.

Old-style from unknown mfg: wire diameter .022, approx 3-3/4 turns, ends ground. Free height ~.160

ETA: I’m glad I did this because until now I had assumed that the Damage Industries spring was the same as Colt’s. Not quite.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    They're both very similar in strength and dont need the oring
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    From a prior discussion.
    Sprinco 4-coil: wire diameter .026, ends ground, approx 4 turns. Free height ~.190
    Those are the same requirements as the Colt Gold spring, at least they fall within the tolerances.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    From a prior discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    They're both very similar in strength and dont need the oring
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Those are the same requirements as the Colt Gold spring, at least they fall within the tolerances.
    Awesome, don't know how I missed that post. Thanks guys, I'm no longer hurry to order anything from Brownells, I'll just get some next time I'm there.

Feedback Score
    I know it's not super scientific or anything, but yesterday at the range I shot a bit off a rest with the Colt spring in, then swapped to the sprinco 4 coil and the brass was landing in the exact same spot with both springs.

Feedback Score
    Both are great and are absolutely worth the upgrade imo. The only difference is the Sprinco will last significantly longer because it’s made out of chrome silicone.
    “You can ignore reality, but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”- Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    The only difference is the Sprinco will last significantly longer because it’s made out of chrome silicone.
    You may recall I have quoted this before. If you have good reason to believe lysander is wrong I'd like to know it.

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    In ALL AR-15 applications there is absolutely NO REASON to use chrome-silicon wire, period.

There is absolutely no difference between music wire and chrome-silicon wire, except performance at high temperature. Two springs, one music wire, and one C-S made to the same dimensions, will have the same spring rate, same stress factors, same life, at temperatures below 300 degrees F.

If you need a valve spring to live inside and engine, yes, it might have to withstand a constant heat soak of 300 F. If your gun spring is uniformly above 300 F, your gun is on fire and you don't need to worry about the spring life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander;
    In ALL AR-15 applications there is absolutely NO REASON to use chrome-silicon wire, period.

There is absolutely no difference between music wire and chrome-silicon wire, except performance at high temperature. Two springs, one music wire, and one C-S made to the same dimensions, will have the same spring rate, same stress factors, same life, at temperatures below 300 degrees F.

If there is no difference...what difference does it make in the AR application?
    Last edited by prepare; 08-19-22 at 04:21.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Anybody know who manufactures the extractor springs that BCM sells? Is it Sprinco?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast