Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt "Gold" extractor spring vs Sprinco 4 coil

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have a good source where I can purchase 5 to 10 of these at a better price than purchasing one at a time?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander;
    In ALL AR-15 applications there is absolutely NO REASON to use chrome-silicon wire, period.

There is absolutely no difference between music wire and chrome-silicon wire, except performance at high temperature. Two springs, one music wire, and one C-S made to the same dimensions, will have the same spring rate, same stress factors, same life, at temperatures below 300 degrees F.

If there is no difference...what difference does it make in the AR application?
    CS fails corrosion testing badly. Very badly. If someone has a gun that never sees bad weather and gets treated like a pure bred poodle, then the aftermarket spring probably wouldn't cause problems.

I tried a springco years back and it made my carbine malfunction. I'd guess it was a miss-pack rifle spring or something. I've never put a non spec spring in my guns since.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And corrosion causes spring failure.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    And corrosion causes spring failure.
    Sprinco is the only extractor spring I can recall completely breaking. I thought I had a post in here, but I can’t find it. It broke after shooting in a downpour for a couple days, though it could be a fluke. It broke leaving almost exactly one coil in the extractor, which makes me wonder if the unground end somehow introduced a stress on the coil above. Every Sprinco action spring I’ve used rusted, even just from humidity from the gun case coming in and out.

So, if there’s no difference, then that could be the difference. Maybe. Or not.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sprinco CS Springs = SOTAR Hype.

Though I dont have any pics of broken Sprinco extractor springs I have several pictures archived i have seen of the Sprinco buffer springs broken where they corroded thru.

Just run the Colt stuff and forget about it.
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 08-19-22 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’m gonna pile on the corroded Springco springs.

When I was younger and more easily influenced I got a Sprinco Blue to make my 6920 perfecter. After a bit of time living on the ranch it didn’t cycle. Spring was trashed.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    9F42216C-7415-44D6-8B25-7D7B68AFCA17.jpeg
    It seems that I did not remember correctly. That’s clearly more than exactly one coil.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    9F42216C-7415-44D6-8B25-7D7B68AFCA17.jpeg
    It seems that I did not remember correctly. That’s clearly more than exactly one coil.
    Interesting. Thank you. I'm not trying to find excuses for a poor QC, but it seems like a manufacturing defect to me rather than external influence like rust.

I've used Sprinco in multiple bolts - extractor and ejector springs. All performed fine. I think rust is less of an issue if you keep a rifle lubricated.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I’m gonna pile on the corroded Springco springs.

When I was younger and more easily influenced I got a Sprinco Blue to make my 6920 perfecter. After a bit of time living on the ranch it didn’t cycle. Spring was trashed.
    Was it just rusted or some other issue? I'm just curious how often did you lubricate the gun? Did you inspect other springs? Were they affected as well or just the buffer spring?

Did it function initially fine with the Blue spring?

I can't recall, but somebody said that external rust on CS springs was acceptable and easily removed with a light CLP application. Can't say if that's normal, but susceptibility to easy rusting would definitely be a concern for me as well.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    On the same topic: has anyone used a green extractor spring from Specialized Armament: https://www.specializedarmament.com/...g-assembly-sa/

I wonder if it's a CS or a stainless steel wire spring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast