Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about a chart showing optic center height over bore?

Feedback Score

How about a chart showing optic center height over bore?

Of popular configurations. (Or any others)

I see different configurations and guys talk about which is higher or lower but I see very few numbers.

Feedback Score
    For what? It really doesnt matter.

Pro shooters are winning with sigs, berettas, and CZs all with different measurements.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think optics height over bore is more of a rifle thing. There’s a pretty big range of heights in mounts. The difference in heights of dots on pistols is so close that it’s almost irrelevant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    For what? It really doesnt matter.

Pro shooters are winning with sigs, berettas, and CZs all with different measurements.
    Seems like it.

My Beretta RDO Centurion seems to have more muzzle flip than the Springfield .45 XDM-E I had. More than my 686 3" Plus too but that's because the 686 is steel.

Putting an optic on my 96A1 resulted in a stupid amount of flip.

So I'm thinking a chart that showed various sight heights over bores will probably correlate with perceived muzzle flip with an optic.

The RDO with HS507C is about 1 in. It's not easy to measure precisely.

The 686 is about 1.2 in.

I don't have the XDM-E any more.

I looked for HOB for Glocks & S&W M&P's and such but couldn't find this data.

Feedback Score
    I’ll take some measurements for you if I remember.

With practice, the flip doesn’t matter if you train for the dot to return to the same place.
    I don’t like certain guns (like sig 226/229) for the same reason, but it’s a preference - it should not affect performance.

Edit- this is basically bore axis. You mean hieght over top of the grip or over the bore?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-30-23 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I’ll take some measurements for you if I remember.

With practice, the flip doesn’t matter if you train for the dot to return to the same place.
    I don’t like certain guns (like sig 226/229) for the same reason, but it’s a preference - it should not affect performance.

Edit- this is basically bore axis. You mean hieght over top of the grip or over the bore?
    I could have described that more clearly.

I'm really talking about the extra flip caused from having a little extra weight mounted high on the recipricating slide.

I didn't notice extra rotation from the revolver. I think I perceived a little from a .45 XDME C, none from the M&P 2.0 .45 Leopold MicroDot, none on a VZ61, mone from an AP5-P, noticeably more from the 92X RDO, (and the hotter the ammo, the more there is) and alot more from a 96A1. (Although with 155 gr bullets it was already substantial)

These are the handguns I've used with RDO's.

My theory is whatever recoil a reciprocating slide pistol has an optic will increase it, the heavier and higher the optic is the more flip there will be.

Further I'm thinking optics are probably best on 9mm pistols than heavier-recoilong cartridges unless the more powerfull cartridge is being fired from a heavier, steel-framed gun. Or a revolver.

A tall slide with a high-mounted optic and lightweight frame seems to a bad set-up. More so in heavier-recoilong cartridge.

That's true it shouldn't effect performance if the dot returns to the target. It sucks when it doesn't. When happens with corser irons, I may not notice but fire and still get a good / decent hit. With the prescision of an optic, I notice and hold fire to correct my aim, unnecessarily slowing things down.

I wouldn't mind trying a larger moa RDS. Ive only used 1-3 mm dots.

Sorry to ramble.

It's New Years Eve and I'm home sick.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-31-23 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ron3: This book is a good, actually better than good, red dot instruction program, which addresses the things you've brought up in your posts:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dot-Maste...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

or from their website: https://reddotmastery.com/

The website reads like an infomercial, but the book is well organized, well written and has cutting edge info about quickly learning to shoot the red dot AND iron sights.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks I grabbed a copy from their website. Can't get over decades of focusing on the front sight and I've spent $17 on breakfast before.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Thanks I grabbed a copy from their website. Can't get over decades of focusing on the front sight and I've spent $17 on breakfast before.
    Have you tried shooting occluded?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast