Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Teach Me About Pistol Red Dots

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    I have a question about back up sights. I would think that you would want them as low as possible so that you can maximize your view through the window.

I ended up getting an optics ready slide instead of having my current slide milled. The new one came with suppressor height sights... I think I could get away with normal height sights... but am I making a deal out of nothing? Is this perfectly acceptable?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    I much prefer a 1/4 cowitness with the sight forward and optic to the rear. This setup gives the best view of the dot with the irons in a true backup position.

I’d replace those sights with standard height or at least something lower.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 01-05-24 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Some of the RD mounts come with RS incorporated into mount.
    Since this RS is Fixed, you’ll need a FS of proper height to to hit a target of a size you want to hit; Minute of Chest at 10 yds? 4” circle @ 25 yds? In theory, the FS height which came with your gun was engineered to work with the RS.
    I have a dedicated Range Gun with Suppressor Height Sights.
    I ordered a FS from Dawson with height for POA/POI at 25 yds. using my Range ammo. “Sight Picture” looks like your pic.
    I never notice FS when shooting. This is purely subjective of course.
    I’d advise shooting your pistol as it is and see if FS height is actually a problem.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks Gentlemen,

This is my main squeeze pistol (carry) so I absolutely want some iron sights on there. I did check out ameriglo, I didn't see any HK sights. The ones that are on there now are xs sights, think I can get the same or similar one to what I have now but standard height.

Oddly, the original VP9 and the VP9 OR slides use different rear sights, guessing to make room for the optic plate.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Some of the RD mounts come with RS incorporated into mount.
    Since this RS is Fixed, you’ll need a FS of proper height to to hit a target of a size you want to hit; Minute of Chest at 10 yds? 4” circle @ 25 yds? In theory, the FS height which came with your gun was engineered to work with the RS.
    I have a dedicated Range Gun with Suppressor Height Sights.
    I ordered a FS from Dawson with height for POA/POI at 25 yds. using my Range ammo. “Sight Picture” looks like your pic.
    I never notice FS when shooting. This is purely subjective of course.
    I’d advise shooting your pistol as it is and see if FS height is actually a problem.
    I think I know what you are referring to. On mine the rear sight is still mounted to the slide. Should I be okay as long as I replace them as a set?

Was thinking these, but honestly would be fine with out the tritium rear.

https://xssights.com/products/r3d-2-...sights-hk.html

Here you can see the new vs old slide. I would have just tried swapping them but as you can see the design of the rear changed.

Last edited by vandal5; 01-05-24 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Was thinking these, but honestly would be fine with out the tritium rear.
    I prefer plain black all around with a red dot sight. I don’t want any distraction from my primary optic.

Feedback Score
    Can I ask which adapter plate and optic you used for your VP9? I’m currently shopping. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “……. On mine the rear sight is still mounted to the slide. Should I be okay as long as I replace them as a set?”

You should be, yes. Simply replacing FS with a much shorter one and leaving exisiting RS could result in shooting a foot high as example.
    Trust, but verify.
    1 guy in 10 ever actually shoots “irons only” for verification of POA/POI in my experience.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    “……. On mine the rear sight is still mounted to the slide. Should I be okay as long as I replace them as a set?”

You should be, yes. Simply replacing FS with a much shorter one and leaving exisiting RS could result in shooting a foot high as example.
    Trust, but verify.
    1 guy in 10 ever actually shoots “irons only” for verification of POA/POI in my experience.
    Haha, yeah that would be the equivalent of using a normal AR height rear with a shorter HK416 style front... (think Troy and others made shorter buis to offset the higher top rail on those rifles).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CH_LA View Post
    Can I ask which adapter plate and optic you used for your VP9? I’m currently shopping. Thanks.
    Happy to help!

I bought an optics ready slide (with suppressor height sights, as I've been talking about). I have the Holosun EPS, the full size, not the carry. Mine has the solar panel on top with the dot/circle-dot/circle options. The plate is the CHPWS for the 407k/507k. It looks like they have one specifically for the EPS now, but that is not what I have...

Here is a pic of the whole thing, and one of the plate, you can see it says holok on it.

Feedback Score
    Very helpful. Thanks for the info.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast