Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach Me About Pistol Red Dots

Feedback Score
    I came to the point of view that in conjunction with my red dot I only needed a front sight and that if the RD goes down I can still engage the target using the RD as a ghost ring in conjunction with the iron front sight. Now today using the Leupold this is even easier since the tube is so small.

I have the Glock 34 and 35 which are basically the same but for the calibers 9mm and .357sig. I have a Glock 32 which is going to get the Glock hump taken out by me and then a KKM barrel and comp. Night sight front sight and then of course a Leupold Delta Micro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Genuinely trying to be helpful here, okie. But I seem to remember a thread from a few months ago where you might have said something about having difficulty with pistol RDS and, IIRC, you were given a bunch of crap about it. I may be misremembering here, so please bear with me. If so, I think you may be giving up a lot more than you think by going with an absolute co-witness, versus something like a lower 1/4th. The purpose of a red dot sight, ANY red dot sight, is to give you the ability to target focus while superimposing the dot on your POA.

Irons work differently, as I know you're well aware, no doubt. So by co-witnessing them in such a small window, you're giving up a significant part of the advantage of a red dot. Because you've essentially converted your RMR into a daylight bright night sight that just brings you back to front sight focus. FWIW.
    Thank you for this! I think it’s important to call out in this learning thread. It’s one of the points I missed when I started with MRDS and the RMR. It’s now obvious but it was anything but that (to me).

I initially did that because I kept losing the red dot. Irons are easy to find…faulty logic follows and MRDS wasted.

As soon as I moved to the 508T and Sage’s zeroing advice—both thanks to you and DG23–I went with co-withnessing.

So thank you again and good call out.

I would highly recommend the Sage Dynamics videos on zeroing and optimally using these tools

1. Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINDUy_ZrBc
    2.Point of aim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9MC7O_CtA
    3. White paper and other gems: https://www.sagedynamics.org/
    Last edited by Dan_B; 08-14-22 at 12:19. Reason: Typo
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    In the past few months I've purchased a couple of pistols that are factory cut for red dot sights. One is a S&W M&P 10mm. The other is an IWI Masada Tactical 9mm. I'd like to start with putting a RDS on the IWI. When it comes to Trijicon ACOGs, I definitely prefer the green illumination. Would I be correct to assume that this translates to RDS, or should I say GDS? What about the dot size? The smallest green dot that Trijicon offers is 9MOA. What are some other quality options? According to IWI's website, the Masada will work with the Trijicon RMR, Vortex Venom, Leupold Delta Point Pro and the Sig Romeo1.

Feedback Score
    Its 2022, RDS have been around for 10-15 years or so. Is it even a question seriously? Holosun/Trijicon both work, both are excellent. Every pistol should have one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    In the past few months I've purchased a couple of pistols that are factory cut for red dot sights. One is a S&W M&P 10mm. The other is an IWI Masada Tactical 9mm. I'd like to start with putting a RDS on the IWI. When it comes to Trijicon ACOGs, I definitely prefer the green illumination. Would I be correct to assume that this translates to RDS, or should I say GDS? What about the dot size? The smallest green dot that Trijicon offers is 9MOA. What are some other quality options? According to IWI's website, the Masada will work with the Trijicon RMR, Vortex Venom, Leupold Delta Point Pro and the Sig Romeo1.
    I definitely wouldn't do 9 MOA. The majority of people who've been using them a while say start with 3 MOA. That's what I got, and I've been very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I definitely wouldn't do 9 MOA. The majority of people who've been using them a while say start with 3 MOA. That's what I got, and I've been very happy with it.
    Jon Dufresne has a 1 MOA on his primary pistol. I'm thinking of going that route myself. I've found my 3.25 MOA larger than I like sometimes, 9 MOA would be insane as far as I'm concerned, can't even picture a need for 6.5 let alone a 9.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    To his defense, I believe that all the manual adj models revert to auto adj after a set time.
    I use the type 2 rm06 this model switch's to auto 16 hours after a manual adj is not made (the buttons are not touched) after 16 hours they figure the gun isn't being used so it goes to auto to conserve battery usage.

To me this is a battery savings option. The only time I've needed to manually adj is at night/in dark situations.
    Roger that, good call, you're right. I set my RM06 to current lighting and leave it, but one of my RDS is a Type 2 RM01 and I pretty much hate it. It works fine about 80% of the time and sucks the other 20%.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by henri View Post
    Its 2022, RDS have been around for 10-15 years or so. Is it even a question seriously? Holosun/Trijicon both work, both are excellent. Every pistol should have one.
    I started with a Dr. Optic in spring of 2001, nobody was doing it or writing about it.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I started with a Dr. Optic in spring of 2001, nobody was doing it or writing about it.
    Pictures or it didn’t happen

Not serious in the tone, but pictures would be cool

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Pictures or it didn’t happen

Not serious in the tone, but pictures would be cool
    If I have any pictures of the pistol, they are sitting somewhere in my house in Israel.

But I did see the receipt for the Dr. Optic not that long ago, let me see if I can find it. My biggest problem is that I have stuff in Israel and 2 different locations in the USA.

But it was old school mount fit in the dovetail and the optic sat on top of the slide.

I still have the gun and before Underwood got the 357sig Leighi back in stock it was my carry gun. I bought the gun in the USA, took it to Israel and now back to the USA. The sad part is with the current climate in Israel I don't think it will be able to go back with me. But I am thinking of donating a bunch of my guns to a place I am associated with in Israel and then get them issued to me.
    Last edited by yoni; 08-26-22 at 07:11.

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast