Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 G17 OVER a Gen 5???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Gen 3 G17 OVER a Gen 5???

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...vs-Gen-5/page7

Thread as reference.

In frequenting a local shop and looking over their Gen 5s (LE/MIL prices), I considered finally getting another Glock (have a Gen 4 G19). While I normally like a thinner grip, I was drawn to a hugely used Gen 3 G17 - it just looks OLD, but for some strange reason the grip seems right to me (even though the newer ones seem to feel better in terms of circumference).. I also seem to prefer a GFA to stop the bite but also correct the angle. So...maybe I don't NEED a Gen 5.

This smooth from use G17 also has a REALLY decent trigger to me - I can press it with minimal movement - unlike a BRAND NEW G34 which shakes like mad with over travel when the sear breaks. And I can get a Gen 5 for the same price. It just seems stupid to think about the worn Gen 3.... but the trigger is right.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    It just seems stupid to think about the worn Gen 3.... but the trigger is right.

Thoughts?
    Adjustable overtravel stops are still available, aren't they?

Feedback Score
    I much prefer the gen 5 for the lack of finger grooves alone. But you are also getting a match barrel, front slide serrations, slightly flared magwell, ambi slide release, better texturing and four backstraps. I also like the frame and slide beveling at the muzzle. There were also some changes to the internals like a redesigned firing pin and new drop safety plunger. Claimed better reliability but how much? Gen 3 is pretty damned reliable.

All that said the gen 3 is still a fine gun. And its a Glock. Its just going to work.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    I've got gen 3, 4 and 5 Glocks.
    I prefer the grip on gen 5 - no finger grooves (protrusions) which I've removed from all gen 3 & 4 Glocks.
    The trigger on my 34.5 makes the trigger on my 35.4 seem heavy - I like the gen 5 trigger better.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    G5 > G3 for same $

Feedback Score
    I have been running G3, G4, and G5 glocks. I find the Gen 5 to be a better generation on all attributes over previous models. The G5 only requires a decent set of sights. Trigger is better and grip, along with barrel.

Feedback Score
    Wonder what a Gen 6 Glock would look like?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For G17/G45, I prefer Gen 5. For G19, the verdict isn't out - the finger grooves on the Gen 4 fit me well but the Gen 5 is nice.

If a gun works for you, take the emotion out and use what works. It's like a hammer, not a girlfriend.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    For me the Gen 5 guns completely transformed my attitude towards Glocks. For decades it was complete hit and miss, love and hate for me. Other than an early gen 5 gun that had a trigger that weirdly degraded because of some coating, the Gen 5 has addressed all my prior complaints. The Gen 5 seems to have completely solved the brass in face issue that plagued me with previous guns. Also the G5 trigger is excellent out of the box, and requires no fiddling. Also, I do prefer the grooveless grip. I have G45, 19 and 26 now. I love them all.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I can't believe I'm the first to say this, but in true M4carbine.net fashion you should buy...BOTH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast