Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much magnification?

Feedback Score

How much magnification?

As the title implies, I am wondering how much magnification is enough. The intended role is LEO designated marksmen. The choice of optic seems like the most important in narrowing down the list. What is general wisdom for this role, it'll be on a .308 AR platform if that makes a difference in suggestions. My gut says the more the magnification the better, but I don't see myself trying to observe or shoot anything past 800 yards.

Thanks in advanced

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocV View Post
    As the title implies, I am wondering how much magnification is enough. The intended role is LEO designated marksmen. The choice of optic seems like the most important in narrowing down the list. What is general wisdom for this role, it'll be on a .308 AR platform if that makes a difference in suggestions. My gut says the more the magnification the better, but I don't see myself trying to observe or shoot anything past 800 yards. Thanks in advanced
    To answer directly look 9-12x, possibly 15x. The long answer is that build quality, clarity, brightness, and reticle choice will be more important than raw magnification. Depending on how you define LE DM, you'll spend more time spun to a lower mag than your upper limit.

Say more about your gun, ammo, terrain, and budget and we can probably help more.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    When last I took a law enforcement rifle course (Designated Marksman school from Center Mass in 2019, or so, I think) the average police sniper shot was about 75 yards.

With that in mind, I think you’d want enough to enable accurate target ID, but with a low enough bottom end to allow for faster, close range target acquisition.

Something like the Nightforce NX8 in 2.5-20x, or a similar scope, would be superb. I have two of these and love them.

Describe your operational area and we can pipe up with some more specific ideas.

Feedback Score
    Max realistic range will dictate.
    As said clarity > mag.
    Nx8, mk5, and khales would be a good place to start. Whats your price?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    As the title implies, I am wondering how much magnification is enough. The intended role is LEO designated marksmen. The choice of optic seems like the most important in narrowing down the list. What is general wisdom for this role, it'll be on a .308 AR platform if that makes a difference in suggestions. My gut says the more the magnification the better, but I don't see myself trying to observe or shoot anything past 800 yards.

Thanks in advanced
    Don't think in terms of distance, think in terms of hitting really small targets at relatively short ranges. Like the only thing the target is exposing is half their head at 100 yards and go from there.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    From a former hi speed acquaintance of mine….the rule of thumb is 1.5 magnification for every hundred yds you want to shoot.

Don’t get sucked into that high magnification stuff because you will want to use it and it will cause you issues. I learned this the hard way.

I would say a 3-15 would be more than enough and spend money for good glass.

Feedback Score
    The Gun is more than likely going to be a Sig Tread 308, as Dept requires a 308 Semi-auto and we already carry sig side arms. ammo will be M80 or the like for the school and not sure what duty ammo will be.

Uses are urban with sporadic call-outs to assist local agencies that are heavily rural. so we are talking about anything from Airports and residential streets to folks' multi-acre homes. I would say I can't imagine anything past 500 yards. I don't think LE marksmen are doing the same kind of watching that Army sniper did so that's why I was wondering what the stateside experience is like. budget is 1300 or less and I know that might price out some good glass but I if the quality is more important than the mag level then I may get a better glass with a lower top end.

Thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Gun is more than likely going to be a Sig Tread 308, as Dept requires a 308 Semi-auto and we already carry sig side arms. ammo will be M80 or the like for the school and not sure what duty ammo will be.

Uses are urban with sporadic call-outs to assist local agencies that are heavily rural. so we are talking about anything from Airports and residential streets to folks' multi-acre homes. I would say I can't imagine anything past 500 yards. I don't think LE marksmen are doing the same kind of watching that Army sniper did so that's why I was wondering what the stateside experience is like. budget is 1300 or less and I know that might price out some good glass but I if the quality is more important than the mag level then I may get a better glass with a lower top end. Thanks for the input.
    You can get a good optic for $1300 with gov pricing. NF, Vortex, Leupold, others will all have viable options.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I just snagged a 3-18 Trijicon for a great price at Eurooptic. It’s worth taking a look…

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-R...?homepage_link

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    I just snagged a 3-18 Trijicon for a great price at Eurooptic. It’s worth taking a look…

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-R...?homepage_link
    Yeah, that's really a deal. Kind of heartbreaking that they only SFP ones...
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast