Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much magnification?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    This scope will mostly be a range toy for me. My next most powerful scope is a night force 2.5-10 on my recce. It’s my goto accurized rifle.

I want to try to this on an SPR that’s been collecting dust. I’m not expecting much more than a 1000$ of quality for my 800$ spent. I had an accupower 1-8 I was very disappointed by how dark it was (light gathering). I sold it immediately. However I paid quite a bit more for it.
    I was really disappointed in the 1-8. You can practically see into the future with the Accupoints though.

Feedback Score
    I've tried some LVPOs and used a number of 18xto 24x scopes but my personal sweet spot is a variable 3ish to12ish.

Keeps the gun light and works great out to 500(surely more with someone who has better eyes) on dear sized targets.

Lugging around 3lbs of scope and mount sucks unless you're into match shooting. IMO.

I'd like to replace my Vortex, as it's meh and not illuminated, but in reality, it does everything I need it do.

I'd love an AccuPoint 2.5-12.5x42 but that thing cost more than a lot of my rifles(Yes I know, your optic should cost more than the gun..I disagree, but I'm a poor)

I don't know that I'd get a 300% increase satisfactions over my cheap scope. Maybe 20%

If fuel wasn't $5+ a gallon, and food hadn't essentially doubled in the past year, I'd probably make the purchase.
    Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 09-06-22 at 23:35.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I received my trijicon tenmile 3-18 scope. Nice glass. Unforgiving eye box especially at higher magnification.

So playing with the zoom and aiming at things at different distances I’d have to say 10x is really pretty good. Much more magnification did not greatly improve things for me. 6x was a sweep spot for fast acquisition and good magnification.

So lesson here for me was you really don’t need more than 10x. How low the power goes is probably more important. I love my 1-6 lpvo and this was reinforced here. I also now know I never really needed more than my 10x I had. I made good hits with it at 750 yards previously. I wish I could try this new scope at that same range but that’s impossible.

A really nice 1-10x is probably worth the coin. I could see a 2-12x being terrific as well, at likely a fraction of the price.

I don’t plan to sell my 3-18x but I never plan to buyer higher than 12x again in my life.
    Last edited by TMS951; 09-08-22 at 09:19.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123