Thread: New 11.5" build Hodge, SOLGW, FCD

Feedback Score

New 11.5" build Hodge, SOLGW, FCD

A few weeks ago I completed a new 11.5" build. I have 300-400 rounds through it so far and have made some adjustments along the way. The current and final set up are:

-SOLGW upper, lower, and M89 rail. I really like the M89. Its a tad bit chunkier than their M76 wedge lock. I like their uppers due to the tight/thermal fit with barrels.
    -It started off with a Centurion 11.5" barrel. I have swapped it out to a Hodge 11.5". More on that later...basically looking for a little less gas when suppressed.
    -FCD gas block. This is my first time using one of their gas blocks and I can't recommend them enough. I had to thermal fit this thing so it should have a tight seal with the barrel and gas port.
    -Geissele SD-C trigger
    -Hodge BCG
    -A5 buffer setup. I have settled with an A5H2 and Vltor rifle spring. PMC Bronze 223 ammo was failing to lock the bolt back with the Sprinco Green unsuppressed.
    -FCD ambi safety. I love these things. They are so smooth and crisp.
    -DA flash hider and DA Sierra 5. My first suppressor and so far I really like it. POI shift was about 1.5" to the right at 100. That was with a non-magnified Eotech and terrible eyes. So take that with a grain of salt.
    -Unity riser. My first time trying one and I am sold on the higher mount. I like the more upright position. I feel it is quicker for me to acquire the dot. It just seems to line up more naturally for me.

The rifle started out with a Centurion barrel. I started with an A5H2 buffer and Sprinco green. I made it all the way up to an A5H4 and the rifle was eating PMC bonze 223 with no issues unsuppressed. I took the bolt out to wipe it down and inspect it. The firing pin retainer was bent and had marks on it from the firing pin. So I took that as the rifle was still gassed a little too much. Enter the Hodge barrel with a smaller gas port. I had to back down to an A5H2 buffer with Vltor spring for PMC bronze 223 to be able to lock the bolt back unsuppressed.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looking good. Impressive parts list.
    How’s it shoot?

Oh, notice you have your VFG backwards. : )
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Was your first Centurion barrel a LW? or was it the FBI spec 11.5 they offer?

Feedback Score
    Thanks. LOL...for some reason I like the grip to angle back not forward. It shoots really nice. It stays pretty flat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Was your first Centurion barrel a LW? or was it the FBI spec 11.5 they offer?
    The LW version. I got tired of waiting for the FBI profile. It was a very nice barrel. I think the rifle is very gas efficient with the FCD gas block so that contributed to the gassing issue.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJDGator View Post
    Thanks. LOL...for some reason I like the grip to angle back not forward. It shoots really nice. It stays pretty flat.
    Actually, it’s installed properly. There was a thread recently discussing “right or wrong” VFG install that, like a lotta threads, went on ad nauseam.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice looking build. What mount do you have on that eotech. It looks like it is sitting high ? Good luck on your new build.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Nice looking build. What mount do you have on that eotech. It looks like it is sitting high ? Good luck on your new build.

PB
    Unity FAST Riser. Brings the Eotech up to 2.26" centerline.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    That’s a sweet setup!