Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the 2L engine the "perfect" size?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Is the 2L engine the "perfect" size?

I was not expecting to learn so much good science in this vid, and while I'm driving a 2L turbo VW right now, I'd prefer a V6!

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I was not expecting to learn so much good science in this vid, and while I'm driving a 2L turbo VW right now, I'd prefer a V6!

The EPA is the driving factor. Yes the small, boosted engine is the best for emissions. That is all that matters to these people.
    If we could have all the cheap, high octane fuel we could get, people would be driving more high horsepower, torquey, V-8's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by czgunner; 08-13-22 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don’t understand why it’s either a little turbocharged engine, or a big NA engine.

I want a big turbocharged engine.

Feedback Score
    I think the issue is that the output/L of engines is getting so high that larger engines are almost useless in most driving conditions. The last Caddy black wing had a turbo charged V8- and it is almost impossible to use even a half its power because you are double the legal speed limit by then. And turbo’s choke engines- they are like ugly chicks that give great head. They get the job done efficiently, but it muffs the breathing. The other issue is that electric cars, with no sonorous emissions at all are faster than anything. Turbos and electrics are killing the ‘fun’ that might be exemplified by a cross crank V8, V12, or a well engineered straight 6.

A 911 GT3 is way better sounding than a 911 Turbo. Maybe more fun to drive. Less horsepower…. Clue, clue, clue.

What do I think is the ‘winner’. (Puts on teflon).

A Toyota GR86 with a 2L straight 6. How much horsepower? But the fuel economy? Don’t care. Add in electric motor that adds power seamlessly and you can dial in the mileage you want…. Think of those e-bikes that assist you peddling and make you look awesome, was as awesome as you can on an e-bike.

Now, straight 6’s can be great sounding, it’s like half a V12. With 2L, run it undersquare and run the revs redline to 8, 10, hell 12,000 rpm. Make people think a super bike is passing them or a swarm of killer bees is attacking.

Giggling yet?

So you get a light car, with good dynamics. A rev happy engine, that you can let breath and not be running triple digits and have your traffic court lawyer on speed dial. It was joked that the Toyota GR86 should be an option when you ORDER a GT3 so that you learn how to drive first…. This is the GR-GT3 car, skip the mid life crisis $250k car that never gets out of 3rd gear…

It’s the answer. The path forward. Free consulting for the auto industry.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I don’t understand why it’s either a little turbocharged engine, or a big NA engine.

I want a big turbocharged engine.
    You have options. VAG(Audi/Porsche), BMW, and MB all offer Twin trouble charged V8's that make anywhere from 500 to 600HP from the factory (depending on variant) and easily over 700WHP with tunes and "bolt on" modifications.

I'm a fan of the VAG 2.0T engines as well. Fast enough to be fun and 30+ MPG if you drive it nice. I see 32mpg highway in my A4. My V8 S4, tuned, I see about 13mpg around town.
    Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 08-13-22 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’ve got 136k miles on my Lincoln MKZ with the 2.0L Ecoboost motor and have been happy with it. It averages 27 mpg with up to 32 mpg on the highway and has enough spunk to get up and go when I need it to.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For a clown car?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I’ve got 136k miles on my Lincoln MKZ with the 2.0L Ecoboost motor and have been happy with it. It averages 27 mpg with up to 32 mpg on the highway and has enough spunk to get up and go when I need it to.
    My wife wife has a Fusion with the 2.0 Ecoboost and our experience matches yours, except we are only at around 60K. Its definitely powerful enough for a non-sport sedan.

On the other hand, my buddy has a 4 door F150 with a 2.7 L Ecoboost and it is far more impressive to me than the 2.0L four. Tiny engine that acts like a V8 and sips gas.

Andy

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Great as long as they don't need work.
    We own a 2007 Suburban with a 5.3 and a 215 Mini Cooper clubman. I do most of my own repair work. I changed the water pump on the suburban myself for the cost of the pump and antifreeze for less than $150 and less than 2 hours work.
    I changed the thermostat on the Mini for about the same $'s but 12 hours work, blood and expletives'. Dealer cost to replace the thermostat was $800+, only reason I did it myself. The Mini recommended replacement interval is 60,000 miles, it didn't have 50,000.
    The Suburban has the original thermostat and 150,000 miles, replace when it goes bad, maybe never.
    The Mini thermostat costs $130 plus special hose camp tool and coolant $50. Suburban thermostat less the $40, a half and hour labor no special tools.
    Give me a rear wheel drive, V8, V6 or I6 any day of the week.
    All I can say about todays front wheel drives is get rid of it before the warranty expirers.
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 08-14-22 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's no accident that many very successful cars are 2.5l fours, some NA, some turbo.

They are out performing most of the 3.5 to 4 L v6s from prior decades. Torque as well as HP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast