Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery Ranch mountain ruck, opinions?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaunder View Post
    Its going to replace my large issue'd molle ruck as well as double as my backpacking / hiking / hunting bag.
    Mystery Ranch makes great gear, no doubt. Personally I went with a Kifaru Reckoning for what you describe. They, as well, offer different sized frames for different builds.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 08-14-22 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Have 4 MR packs for various jobs, call and speak with them about sizing and actually measure with a cloth tape. Don't use clothing sizes.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Really? Some of you guys miss the ALICE?

Serious question, I'm not kidding.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

I had mine modded at Old Sarge's near Bragg. Buckles on the pouches, claymore pouch on the lid, waterproof liner, sewn in 2qt carrier, and extra pouches on the side that can fit a 3L in a pinch.

Love that rucksack.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

So I have far less time under a ruck than most of the guys that say it, but I always wonder why when I hear it (I’ve heard it for my entire career, usually from infantry guys). I’ve always looked at as a form of Stockholm syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I had mine modded at Old Sarge's near Bragg. Buckles on the pouches, claymore pouch on the lid, waterproof liner, sewn in 2qt carrier, and extra pouches on the side that can fit a 3L in a pinch.

Love that rucksack.
    Yup, that does make sense, and are really useful mods.

I just always thought the ALICE frame crippled more young people than multiple sclerosis. Unfortunately, we were never allowed to modify our gear in that fashion.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

It was effective and relatively lightweight. There are better moustraps, but the MOLLE ain’t it, as far as rucks go. Although, that top rivet on the frame always broke and caused squeaking, requiring duct tape.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I always imagined the Alice couldn’t be great for you because every commercial pack I’m aware of extends vertically to carry more stuff, while the Alice extends horizontally.

Either way, love my MR bags. I have a SATL and 3 day assault. The SATL was just a tad bit small for NTC though so I kind of want the Blackjack 100 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

When we switched from primarily using the large ALICE to the Large MOLLE, a lot of guys tended to miss the old ruck. To a certain extent, it is simply a case of nostalgia and "different and therefore wrong", but there are legit reasons as well. I am not a fan of the Large MOLLE in any way, shape or form, and the ALICE does have a few advantages (smaller, and distributes the load a bit better). Objectively, the ALICE really is obsolete though. Eventually realized that myself when I started rucking regularly for exercise last year and tried using an old Medium ALICE. I think the best compromise (at least in sticking to just military issue rucks) is the Medium MOLLE, but there are tons of commercial packs much better than all of these. Too few people have the option of using them though, at least on the .mil side.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 08-18-22 at 09:26. Reason: Getting my Rucks mixed up
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks gents, I was really curious.

I got badly injured a while back in a climbing accident. As in months in the hospital, then wheelchair, relearn to walk, yada yada yada. When the orthopedic folks were staring at the imagery of my spine, one of then just stared and stared. Then he looked at me and asked "Army or Marine Infantry?"

I told him what branch, and he nodded. I guess the pics don't lie.

Every time I look at a ALICE pack I remember his words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12