Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty Magazine in carry-on

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)

Empty Magazine in carry-on

Was going thru security check-point and my luggage was flagged for inspection. They said an empty magazine isnt allowed. I knowingly carried it because i thought it was okay.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    Was going thru security check-point and my luggage was flagged for inspection. They said an empty magazine isnt allowed. I knowingly carried it because i thought it was okay.
    Simple rule: assume anything gun related is inside locked box, and follow their rules/guidelines for ammo, usually = zero drama in my experience. I would not expect an empty mag to get through security. That's way over estimating the knowledge of any TSA types to allow it.

Simple: look at the rules/guidelines of the specific airline you are using for firearms, follow to the letter.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Simple rule: assume anything gun related is inside locked box, and follow their rules/guidelines for ammo, usually = zero drama in my experience. I would not expect an empty mag to get through security. That's way over estimating the knowledge of any TSA types to allow it. Simple: look at the rules/guidelines of the specific airline you are using for firearms, follow to the letter.
    This. They're much more likely to miss it than allow it.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...s-and-firearms

Maybe... read the rules next time instead of making assumptions?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...s-and-firearms

Maybe... read the rules next time instead of making assumptions?
    I'm surprised he didn't assume his way into being detained for a while and missing his flight just to bust his nads as they can be prone to do. Depending on the airport, the agent you get, the TSA renta cops you get, if having a bad day and wanna give you bad day, and other variables, his could have been a very long day...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Simple rule: assume anything gun related is inside locked box, and follow their rules/guidelines for ammo, usually = zero drama in my experience. I would not expect an empty mag to get through security. That's way over estimating the knowledge of any TSA types to allow it.

Simple: look at the rules/guidelines of the specific airline you are using for firearms, follow to the letter.
    +1

Absolutely sound callout
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_B View Post
    +1

Absolutely sound callout
    Due to following that, probably flown 20 times or more with firearms, zero drama. I have noticed different airlines and or airports, have slightly different rules and approaches. I print out the rules of the airline I'm flying and have them with me in case some clueless agent, etc. gets hinky. One lady agent who clearly didn't approve of guns by her face and body language said the ammo should be in the locked case with the gun, and I showed her - very politely of course - where it was the opposite, but had to be in the original packaging and no more than 50rnds per her/that airline. Potential drama averted.

Some are not aware the lock on the box containing the gun should not be TSA lock they can open, and only you should have that key/combo. That came up once, handy print out to the rescue. Never assume they know their own rules...

One time TSA agent wanted to go in the back and take a look, and we ended up having a nice 20 min talk about guns and such. He also said things like "I wish more of the people we deal with followed the simple instructions as you have" and so forth.

It's not rocket science.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-14-22 at 13:40.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I flew out of Newark with a firearm, I told the lovely lady (joke in case you haven't been to Newark) when I checked in, and she didn't reply. I told her three time that I was declaring a firearm before she finally said she heard me the first time and didn't care. I found some Newark PD guys and let them know, that way if anything happened at least someone knew I tried. I flew out of Seatac one time and had an even worse experience,

Reading the rules is great, but its not like they are professionals actually following them or anything.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I always fly with a pistol in my checked bag, not because I think I might need it where I am going. But I have noticed that the airlines take batter care of a bag with a gun in it. While most people are waiting to get their bags mine go to the baggage office of the airline. Last Tuesday had a very nice talk in French with 2 people from Cote d'Ivoire, they loved me once they found out I had spent time in their country.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The last time I flew & ever will fly was to the NRA Convention in HoustonTX in 2005. Had a Charlten Heston Silver Bullet on my keychain- THEY TOOK IT.
    Luckily- on the way back home, we met a dude in the NRA, told him the story, and he sent me another one some time later. Absolutely F the airline industry, I lll never fly again, not just because that..but that time and a couple others I sat near a couple of severely stinking people, for hours. Just never again.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast