Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gerber Ultimate fix blade knife

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Must be just me, I even lost an orange gryptillian in my pasture!
    Have never lost a single folder cheap or $ in my entire life. If I was prone to losing them, sure, I'd probably limit the budget on them.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I picked up 2 of the Gerber ultimate and now im thinking ill pick up a Gerber Prodigy and Strongarm as well as a couple Mora knives for kitchen duty.
    I should be good with knives for my lifetime.
    Thanks for all of your imput.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    I picked up 2 of the Gerber ultimate and now im thinking ill pick up a Gerber Prodigy and Strongarm as well as a couple Mora knives for kitchen duty.
    I should be good with knives for my lifetime.
    Thanks for all of your imput.
    While I don't favor their designs, never heard anything negative about Mora for the $. Gerber tends to be very hit or miss.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    As others have said, gerber knives can be kind of hit or miss. I have an esee 4 that I carry daily. They can be had for sub $100 all over the place, i made some tweaks to mine with handle scales from knife connection, stripped the powdercoating and forced a patina and squared a section of the spine off for use with a ferro rod, and its hands down my go to knife for everything. Its also very slim so I don't even notice it. My experience handling knivex from gerber is the handles are very larger, and tend to rub and chafe when worn consistantly against the skin. I'd definitely take a hard look at esee for a daily carry fixed blade, fairly inexpensive, well made, takes a beating and has a no questions asked warranty.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Buying a cheap knife is like buying a Hi Point. Good luck with a subpar product. Somethings in life shouldn’t be skimped out on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Buying a cheap knife is like buying a Hi Point. Good luck with a subpar product. Somethings in life shouldn’t be skimped out on.
    Not sure the analogy plays, the Gerber the OP was talking about (or even the moras) are much better knives than high points are pistols.

I have moras that I get for $7-$9 on sale in every vehicle, in my tractor toolbox, and in some of my emergency packs. On most I have a striker and ferro rod on the lanyard.

They are not things of beauty, nor do I get pride of ownership from fondling them. But they will absolutely make a shelter, cut cord, and do the things I need to do. In this case having backups in every vehicle / bag is far more important than having the ultimate Wonder knife that is not with me for whatever reason.

While some of them like more expensive knives, the Bushcraft people do amazing things with very basic knives like the Moras.

I have high end knives, but my EDC is a gryptilian, or if I'm hunting a Leatherman Wave with a small sheath knife (esse 3, helle, etc). Plus a 70s Gerber magnum hunter for skinning if deer hunting. (Or my gryp)

My knives are tools, they are not lifetime investments like a firearm. They get used, sometimes worn out, sometimes abused. And as mentioned before, occasionally lost. (I guess it's the nature of my daily activities living on property and doing things more akin to farm life now that I'm retired, Will)
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 09-13-22 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    So far ive bought 2 of the gerber, a mora 511, companion, and Kansboi.im not sure if the Moras will hold up over time but they are much easier to carry around the property. The Companion and 511 are excellent kitchen knives.
    I tried to follow the science but it simply was not there. I then followed the money, thats where i found the science.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345