Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerber Ultimate fix blade knife

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gerber-U...809605#overlay

I need a couple fixed blades for everyday carry. Never needed a carry blade but since moving to southern Lauisiana i feel its necessary.
    Is the Gerber Ultimate fixed blade a decent knife?
    Get one without the serrations.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I'd certainly spring for a bit more of a knife, especially considering you intend to use it often.

I believe a fixed blade knife should check all the quality boxes. But, I own quite a few AMTAC and Winklers, so I am biased big time.

ESEE 3 S35VN is what I recommend to most anyone wanting a good fixed blade.
    I will try the Gerber if it fails i will look at tge ESEE. This knife will be used daily so if the Gerber is a POS i should know soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    Get one without the serrations.
    I couldnt find one. I have a KABAR D2 and tge serations never caused a problem. But then again it sits in a drawer.lol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    I will try the Gerber if it fails i will look at tge ESEE. This knife will be used daily so if the Gerber is a POS i should know soon.
    I think ESEE stuff is way over priced, and I have an ESEE 4. It's a good knife, way over priced for 1095 Carbon Steel or
    440C. The design/ergos are quite good however. Both those steels are GTG, but they are inexpensive and knives made from them had for way less $. Look at Boker for example, about half the cost, used D2 steel (which I'm partial too as a good balance and not too $), and and for typical woods, camping, survival, should be GTG:

https://www.amazon.com/B%C3%96KER-PL...dp/B09KNZ9TMM/

I didn't post that to recommend per se, just to show there's a lot from good brands out there for very reasonable $, especially if you don't get too focused on latest greatest super steels.

Just keep in mind, if the Gerber fails (it wont), there's a lot of good choices out there.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I think ESEE stuff is way over priced, and I have an ESEE 4. It's a good knife, way over priced for 1095 Carbon Steel or
    440C. The design/ergos are quite good however. Both those steels are GTG, but they are inexpensive and knives made from them had for way less $.
    Its funny because I have M4C up and I have the Bablyon Bee up and see this:
    https://babylonbee.com/news/brand-ne...mazon-packages
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Its funny because I have M4C up and I have the Bablyon Bee up and see this:
    https://babylonbee.com/news/brand-ne...mazon-packages
    Probably closer to reality than many realize. As you will find even most SEALs are not gun guys, they're not knife guys either per se. Those that are, have told me they tend to bring a knife they don't care about losing and trashing on deployment, and leave their good knives at home. A small % will deploy with their good knives. Some times a unit will have a knife made for them, which they may carry in the field. I don't know how many have done that, do know some knife makers who had been pinged to do that for various SOF units that wanted their own knife.

The knives on display at the UDT-SEAL museum that were issued at various times since Frogman-> modern SEALs, come from decent brands, nothing real expensive, like K-Bar, Gerber, SOG, Cold Steel, and others. All good rugged knives that will not cost a lot to replace if lost or broken and such.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    The knives on display at the UDT-SEAL museum that were issued at various times since Frogman-> modern SEALs, come from decent brands, nothing real expensive, like K-Bar, Gerber, SOG, Cold Steel, and others. All good rugged knives that will not cost a lot to replace if lost or broken and such.
    Oh, I completely understand, I love my Gerber Suspension multitool, not because its better than a Leatherman, because it works, I picked up like 4 when they were on sale at Menards and have one in the truck, one in my Vertx bag, one in duck blind bag, and one in my range bag. Cheap, easy and effective goes along way...

Now if its a knife your life depends on day after day, then you might want to spend the money to get something much more durable, but for your intended use, if it works for you great, I'm going to bring this up because someone will inevitably bring up this argument when it comes to rifles and I would say the same thing. So if you want to buy a PSA, Stag, Aero etc... and if you fire 100 rds a year and have taken a basic carbine class then great, but if you are constantly shooting and have an understanding of the capabilities of the platform and plan on testing yourself as well as your gun then I would look for something more robust.
    Last edited by Hank6046; 08-16-22 at 15:53. Reason: Clarification
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Oh, I completely understand, I love my Gerber Suspension multitool, not because its better than a Leatherman, because it works, I picked up like 4 when they were on sale at Menards and have one in the truck, one in my Vertx bag, one in duck blind bag, and one in my range bag. Cheap, easy and effective goes along way...

Now if its a knife your life depends on day after day, then you might want to spend the money to get something much more durable, but for your intended use, if it works for you great, I'm going to bring this up because someone will inevitably bring up this argument when it comes to rifles and I would say the same thing. So if you want to buy a PSA, Stag, Aero etc... and if you fire 100 rds a year and have taken a basic carbine class then great, but if you are constantly shooting and have an understanding of the capabilities of the platform and plan on testing yourself as well as your gun then I would look for something more robust.
    Those brands listed as issued to NSW over the decades were no doubt up to the task of hard use by those guys, and "even" 1095 will take more abuse than modern super steels. It's only real drawback is corrosion. 440C was the SS "super steel" of its day, now looked down on by knife snobs and such. With a good HT (the secret sauce of knife steel performance...) knives made of either will out last their owners. I guess we could call them the Colt of knife steels in that sense if doing the AR parallels.

The usual issues of good enough for gubment work, but better exists applies to the knives chosen no doubt, but I would not feel short changed or worried a knife from those steels with a goof HT would let me down when needed.

I can also see, and would myself if allowed, take something I liked more as why the hell not?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    I agree that the Gerber you posted will probably do most of what you want fairly well, for a price that doesn't break the bank. I own multiple ESEE knives, as well as some Gerbers like the LMFII etc., and I doubt many people abuse their knives enough to truly get the benefit out of the expensive ones.

I do like the Gerber StrongArm, which is under $90, and Boker and MoraKniv make great cheaper options. Anyway, let us know how that knife holds up

Feedback Score
    The usual issues of good enough for gubment work, but better exists applies to the knives chosen no doubt, but I would not feel short changed or worried a knife from those steels with a goof HT would let me down when needed.

I can also see, and would myself if allowed, take something I liked more as why the hell not?
    Agreed, my sons and I love the show alone, and if I was relegated to the Alaskan wilderness for 50+ days and could only bring one knife, I would bring my $250 benchmade but for what the OP is asking he should be fine. I was looking into a more combat orientated knife for my kit, but I'm not a totally into the steels and techniques of a great knife, and with all my other hobbies, I'm not sure I want to be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast