Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpack recommendations

Feedback Score
    You have to think about packs the same way as you would about guns. There is no one back that fits every situation.

In my case, I wanted a backpacking and hunting pack that was around 5500cc's, that's plenty big for a 3-5 day overnight hike or hunt, but the pack only weighs 4lbs so using it for a day pack while using the compression straps still works well. I wanted a waterproof tough fabric. That's why I went with Seek Outside. They make packs out of UltraPE, EPLX, and Spectra. Inherently waterproof and abrasion resistant. Deep pockets and front stuff pockets. They also have adjustable load height bars. There are other lightweight packs but you have to watch out for being so light they are not tough.

I tried the Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs as well. Both were nice, but empty they felt like they already had a load. They are also mostly Cordura making them wet out resulting in a heavier soggy pack.

With enough rain, everything will get wet eventually, might as well start out ahead.
    Last edited by Troutrunner; 08-16-22 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    If you're looking for a large pack for uses other than just regular old backpacking I'll defer to others.

If you are really looking for a pack just for backpacking I'd say look at hyperlite mountain gear and Gossamer gear. There are others too. I'd go with a 55ish liter pack and I'd reevaluate the rest of my gear to make it fit. My enjoyment on the trail is inversely proportional to the weight on my back. I've become a bit of a weight weenie and I don't care. I have an HMG Porter 3400. I pack for 5 days trips and hit the trail at about 30-32 lbs but that includes quite a bit of fishing gear. I'm more recently trying the Gossamer gear Mariposa which is about the same size and weight but with more pockets for organization. I like them both a lot.
    Those Hyperlite cuben fiber packs are really good too. The material is waterproof so you don't need a pack cover. Those bags are very popular with PCT thru hikers.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

We use the Three Day Pass Backpacks by Sandpiper of California and they have held-up well. Sandpiper offers a wide range of packs and probably has what you're looking for too. https://sandpiperca.com/
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    When I worked at the student center in 1991 I found a back pack in the lost and found. Been my ammo and mag bag for 25 years. I think it is mostly gunpowder residue and dirt.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Backpacks are pretty sketchy to buy unless you have a bit of experiance.
    I was used to ALICE packs, they worked well enough and were semi confortable. When I hiked the Grand Canyon I bought something used that fit well and worked for me.
    It was in size between an large and medium Alice and had an internal frame.
    Very comfortable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12