Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barnes 70gr TSX redesign?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Hell no, the GMX bullet is hot garbage. Lots of reports of pass through on hogs with minimal damage. Sheering petals in gel and water jug tests. Not sure how Hornady can drop the ball so bad on this one.

That's disappointing. I have quite a bit of the Black Hills loaded with the 70gr GMX, was hoping to standardize to it. Thankfully I've got some of the factory loaded Barnes TSX 70s too.

As an aside, sorry for the dumb question, how does the IMI 77gr compare?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    That's disappointing. I have quite a bit of the Black Hills loaded with the 70gr GMX, was hoping to standardize to it. Thankfully I've got some of the factory loaded Barnes TSX 70s too.

As an aside, sorry for the dumb question, how does the IMI 77gr compare?
    77gr RazorCore is an OTM round designed for accuracy at distance and just happens to also be an incredibly good round on soft targets due to the low threshold of expansion. Fragments very well at lower velocities.

70gr TSX is a monolithic copper bullet designed to expand while keeping around 98% of its weight after impact resulting in extreme penetration and a massive energy dump into the target.

Both are great rounds that are designed with a different purpose in mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post
    77gr RazorCore is an OTM round designed for accuracy at distance and just happens to also be an incredibly good round on soft targets due to the low threshold of expansion. Fragments very well at lower velocities.

70gr TSX is a monolithic copper bullet designed to expand while keeping around 98% of its weight after impact resulting in extreme penetration and a massive energy dump into the target.

Both are great rounds that are designed with a different purpose in mind.
    Thanks. My 1 in 8 16" barrel doesn't like the 70 grain GMX stuff very much for some reason, and I haven't even tried the 70 gr TSX in it because of the 1.3 stability factor. But it likes the 77gr SMKs just fine.

Based on the post by vicious_cb, I think I'm going to try and get rid of BH GMX ammo and move to the TSX round for my short barreled ARs.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have had very erratic performance from 70gr GMX on deer. One round from a 16.1" gun at about 120m failed to expand, broadside. It icepicked in, and tumbled. I watched the shooter take this shot, and was present when we processed the deer. Another round at about 30m performed insanely well from a 14.5" gun. Yet another round performed about as expected from 76m from same. Its done both amazing and very poor in my limited experience with it, well within its proper impact velocity threshold, alleged.

My go to is 70gr tsx, 75gr GoldDot, and I am evaluating Black Hills "Dual Performance" 62gr loading this year and hope to opine on it later.
    Last edited by WS6; 10-26-22 at 04:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I have had very erratic performance from 70gr GMX on deer. One round from a 16.1" gun at about 120m failed to expand, broadside. It icepicked in, and tumbled. I watched the shooter take this shot, and was present when we processed the deer. Another round at about 30m performed insanely well from a 14.5" gun. Yet another round performed about as expected from 76m from same. Its done both amazing and very poor in my limited experience with it, well within its proper impact velocity threshold, alleged.

My go to is 70gr tsx, 75gr GoldDot, and I am evaluating Black Hills "Dual Performance" 62gr loading this year and hope to opine on it later.
    Since people already complain about the petals sometimes sheering off with 70 grain GMX, I don’t know that the 62 grain Dual Performance, which is intentionally designed to have the petals sheer off from the body of the projectile, will see any widespread adoption; particularly with the gross over-penetration that occurs with the body of the projectile.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Since people already complain about the petals sometimes sheering off with 70 grain GMX, I don’t know that the 62 grain Dual Performance, which is intentionally designed to have the petals sheer off from the body of the projectile, will see any widespread adoption; particularly with the gross over-penetration that occurs with the body of the projectile.

My issue with GMX 70gr is not opening, and when petals do shear on GMX, its always lopsided which leads to the bullet veering off, and 1 or 2 petals helps but isnt as nasty as full frontal coming apart. I view the 62gr DP as "a copper SOST with 1500fps floor".

Long story short, Ill kill some deer with it and see. The 1 deer I killed up close with 70gr gmx was excellent. Far out? It tumbled. Not happy with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    My issue with GMX 70gr is not opening, and when petals do shear on GMX, its always lopsided which leads to the bullet veering off, and 1 or 2 petals helps but isnt as nasty as full frontal coming apart. I view the 62gr DP as "a copper SOST with 1500fps floor".

Long story short, Ill kill some deer with it and see. The 1 deer I killed up close with 70gr gmx was excellent. Far out? It tumbled. Not happy with it.
    I'm wondering if GMX's claim to fame starts and ends with barrier blindness. Terminally, it sounds like it's kind of marginal, but I've read good things about its barrier performance.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I'm wondering if GMX's claim to fame starts and ends with barrier blindness. Terminally, it sounds like it's kind of marginal, but I've read good things about its barrier performance.
    If you are close and it shears a lot, it seems to do plenty of damage. If you are intermediate and it does not sheer, it does a lot. If you are far and it does not open, it tumbles. I just found in my limited experience that its kindof a roll of the dice on what it will do in live game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12