Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes 70gr TSX redesign?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Barnes 70gr TSX redesign?

I'm sure this happened years ago, and I'm just very much behind the curve on this, but when did Barnes redesign their 70gr .224 TSX bullets?

I purchased quite a few many years back and worked up my own "Brown Tip" clone load with the 4 groove version on top. For the last few years I've been focused on other calibers for hunting, but the TSX bullets I've purchased have all been more or less consistent across the .308-.311 diameter range in design and style. I decided to load up a few more Brown Tip clones, so I ordered a couple more boxes, only to discover the design has changed considerably (bottom bullet). It looks far more like Hornady's GMX bullet than the older TSX. Does anyone have experience working with both? Is all of Barnes' load data still applicable to the new design?

https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/tsx/
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 08-15-22 at 08:38.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    I had no idea it had changed. I've got a few of the older design ones sitting around...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/hAsmqKuYtsANs6Yp6
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score

Barnes 70gr TSX redesign?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    I'm sure this happened years ago, and I'm just very much behind the curve on this, but when did Barnes redesign their 70gr .224 TSX bullets?

I purchased quite a few many years back and worked up my own "Brown Tip" clone load with the 4 groove version on top. For the last few years I've been focused on other calibers for hunting, but the TSX bullets I've purchased have all been more or less consistent across the .308-.311 diameter range in design and style. I decided to load up a few more Brown Tip clones, so I ordered a couple more boxes, only to discover the design has changed considerably (bottom bullet). It looks far more like Hornady's GMX bullet than the older TSX. Does anyone have experience working with both? Is all of Barnes' load data still applicable to the new design?

https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/tsx/
    Yes, I ran into that same situation a ways back. I simply moved passed it as if it didn't matter wich is good, because nothing changed for me in 4 rifles. My POA / POI / dope is the same and velocity is the same, so I'd say just keep shooting them with your old load and take a look. Your likely not gonna see a difference. And as Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only often says, believe the bullet....
    Last edited by Send it...; 08-18-22 at 00:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Send it... View Post
    Yes, I ran into that same situation a ways back. I simply moved passed it as if it didn't matter wich is good, because nothing changed for me in 4 rifles. My POA / POI / dope is the same and velocity is the same, so I'd say just keep shooting them with your old load and take a look. Your likely not gonna see a difference. And as Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only often says, believe the bullet....
    Alright, thanks. I'm always leery about unexpected changes, especially in reloading. Might only marginally affect accuracy, or it might go ka-boom.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Not to veer from the original OP, but isn't the Hornady 70gr GMX 5.56mm *supposedly* equivalent to the "brown tip" Barnes bullet?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Not to veer from the original OP, but isn't the Hornady 70gr GMX 5.56mm *supposedly* equivalent to the "brown tip" Barnes bullet?
    The fact that Black Hills is loading it in a 5.56 round probably says something that agrees with your statement.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    They're both 70 grain, monolithic, open-tip bullets. The Barnes bullet is pure copper (or at least the original version was) while the Hornady bullet is gilding metal (95% copper and 5% zinc).

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    The fact that Black Hills is loading it in a 5.56 round probably says something that agrees with your statement.
    I have about 300rds of it in a 5.56 loading but can't for the life of me recall if it they were manufactured by Black Hills or Hornady. They are in my safe and I don't feel like digging around right now but I think they are Black Hills loads.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 08-22-22 at 17:33.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    They're both 70 grain, monolithic, open-tip bullets. The Barnes bullet is pure copper (or at least the original version was) while the Hornady bullet is gilding metal (95% copper and 5% zinc).

What would be the advantage of one over the other? Less copper fouling with the GMX? (although I can't see a 5% difference in composition being that earth-moving)
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hell no, the GMX bullet is hot garbage. Lots of reports of pass through on hogs with minimal damage. Sheering petals in gel and water jug tests. Not sure how Hornady can drop the ball so bad on this one.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-22-22 at 18:12.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast