Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting perspective on M855A1 by retired SF

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m not retired, but I like it. Its an improvement in every way over M855. D89BC8A4-4B7F-48D5-B965-A8BDAD59E55F.jpeg
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m not retired, but I like it. Its an improvement in every way over M855. D89BC8A4-4B7F-48D5-B965-A8BDAD59E55F.jpeg
    So, a hopefully NOT dumb question.
    The gent in the video says after 13 years the 855A1 round is being replaced by a 6.8 round..i cant understand what he says it is, other than 6.8.
    If thats the case, will ammo makers keep making 855A1 for civies like they did 193 & 855...and will mil surplus of 855A1 ever hit the market?
    Whats the cost of a round of 855A1 vs a round of 855 green tip?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Molon: Great info dump as usual.

OT:
    I have to say I was more than a little disappointed with this video compared to some of his others. He always has a bias, with the information slanted by his own perceptions and experiences, but this one seemed more of a problem than normal. He definitely falls into the "Cult of 262" more than I was hoping he would, and that leads him to ignore any other factors than what 262 shines at. 7 years ago, he would have fit in with the "M855A1 is bad; inaccurate and breaks guns!" crowd, but people like Molon have been showing otherwise. The complete lack of any reference to terminal performance other than "I'm not being attacked by car doors!" was pretty disappointing as well, especially when he immediately complained about how it wasn't able to pierce modern plates and that's something the Army should have looked at. Which is it? Barrier and armor penetration matters, or it doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    So, a hopefully NOT dumb question.
    The gent in the video says after 13 years the 855A1 round is being replaced by a 6.8 round..i cant understand what he says it is, other than 6.8.
    If thats the case, will ammo makers keep making 855A1 for civies like they did 193 & 855...and will mil surplus of 855A1 ever hit the market?
    Hopefully not a stupid answer that contains info that you already know:

6.8x51, eventually will be commercially available as Sig's .277 Fury cartridge. As far as I know, M855A1's successor hasn't been type-classified yet, but it appears to be a bullet very similar to M855A1/M80A1 but scaled to 6.8/.277".

I very much doubt we will see M855A1 hit the market in any significant numbers after 6.8 comes out. We would have seen it already if there were plans for it to become a commercially viable cartridge. Not sure if it is legal or marketing reasons for its absence, but something is keeping the cartridge out of circulation in any significant amount. I'd love to be able to stock up on both M855A1 and M80A1, but that's not really an option.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post

OT:
    I have to say I was more than a little disappointed with this video compared to some of his others. He always has a bias, with the information slanted by his own perceptions and experiences, but this one seemed more of a problem than normal. He definitely falls into the "Cult of 262" more than I was hoping he would, and that leads him to ignore any other factors than what 262 shines at. 7 years ago, he would have fit in with the "M855A1 is bad; inaccurate and breaks guns!" crowd, but people like Molon have been showing otherwise. The complete lack of any reference to terminal performance other than "I'm not being attacked by car doors!" was pretty disappointing as well, especially when he immediately complained about how it wasn't able to pierce modern plates and that's something the Army should have looked at. Which is it? Barrier and armor penetration matters, or it doesn't?

6.8x51, eventually will be commercially available as Sig's .277 Fury cartridge. As far as I know, M855A1's successor hasn't been type-classified yet, but it appears to be a bullet very similar to M855A1/M80A1 but scaled to 6.8/.277".

I very much doubt we will see M855A1 hit the market in any significant numbers after 6.8 comes out. We would have seen it already if there were plans for it to become a commercially viable cartridge. Not sure if it is legal or marketing reasons for its absence, but something is keeping the cartridge out of circulation in any significant amount. I'd love to be able to stock up on both M855A1 and M80A1, but that's not really an option.
    I certainly appreciate that answer A17. Youd think, or I do anyway, the gov. would want to try to recoup that $100 million R&D it spent bringing the 855A1 to life. Im good with what I have tho, Id like to have a couple hundred 855A1 rounds to play with.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I certainly appreciate that answer A17. Youd think, or I do anyway, the gov. would want to try to recoup that $100 million R&D it spent bringing the 855A1 to life. Im good with what I have tho, Id like to have a couple hundred 855A1 rounds to play with.
    855A1 isn’t going anywhere. The army is not ditching 5.56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great read, bullet intel nerd heaven.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Watched it. Pretty good video from a guy who has been there. Bottom line: Minimal accuracy improvement. Zero lethality improvement. Some penetration improvement that was meaningless in ganistan.

The guy was a WAY bigger fan of Mk262.... a man after my own heart!

Also the A1 ammo was an ass ache cuz the couldn't train with it in the shoot house or on the long range steel. It did enough damage that they had to go back to M855 to train with.

Thanks. I am a large believer that technology will allow us to build a better bullet, but it appears we aren't there yet.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Exactly, this 30 min long spiel filled with misinformation would make you believe A1 is crap when its quite the opposite. People forget that SS109 was shoved down our throats by the Belgians and other Euro NATO members. I only wish is that A1 wasnt a "green" bullet and probably fragment alot better with a lead core.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post

OT:

Wasn't a company called Liberty Ammunition (or similar) involved with a lawsuit against DoD for infringing on it's design of M855A1? Or is it another round I'm thinking of?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Molon for the win. Thank you sir. I love your contriburions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast