Thread: Solid Case Separation recently

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Solid Case Separation recently

.223 55 grain brass, trainer/plinker stuff. Happened in my BCM 11.5 that is well maintained/PM'd.

Was doing a shoot and move drill and got a little more gas to the face than usual; first one in 24 years of shooting. Smoked my extractor and takedown pin. Pics will be attached below. Point is ; have a broken shell extractor! I didn't and the gun was deadlined for the day. Mortar'd, BSE, and rod cleared it...days later.

I contacted the manufacturer and made them aware, along with the lot number for the case. I'm not going to name the MF, as it's a well known one that puts out 14-15 million rounds off .223/5.56 annually. It could happen to any of us. A candid conversation revealed the MF has documented 3 case separations over a 3 year period in what, 40 milllion + rounds.

I was reimbursed in full my expenses.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Chit happens. Glad you got it out.
    And yes on broken shell xtractor.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You should change the thread title to no mislead folks with "PSA"
    I get it, god forbid something happens with a BCM gun but business as usual when it's -well---

You should name the ammunition, what's the harm?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    You should change the thread title to no mislead folks with "PSA"
    I get it, god forbid something happens with a BCM gun but business as usual when it's -well---
    No, no, no! Keep it the same. Unsubstantiated and ignorant feeding frenzies are few and far between these days. Let's hear it from the chairborne Rangers. C'mon girls; chime in!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bad round. A chamber brush works sometimes too... to get the shoulder portion out of the chamber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Bad round. A chamber brush works sometimes too... to get the shoulder portion out of the chamber.
    I tried that method initially, but no joy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrin View Post
    I tried that method initially, but no joy.
    The broken shell extractors aren't perfect either. But on the upside, if you buy one, you'll never need it again because that's the way it just goes. I swear I bought mine and have never had to use it.

Glad they made good. With that blown case head, no doubt about it.
    Last edited by markm; 08-29-22 at 14:41.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Could have been much worse I’d say. Glad you and the AR are fine. Looks like the bolt did it’s job pretty nicely