Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: factory 55 grain 5.56 ammo accuracy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

factory 55 grain 5.56 ammo accuracy

What 55 gr. factory ammo is generally considered accurate? I realize it also includes the the rifle shooting it but I would like a place to start. I am looking for commonly available 55 gr. ball ammo.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd say the only thing that I remember having anything close to accuracy would have been Hornady 55 gr. Their 55 gr FMJBT was on the better side.

They used to make steel cased practice ammo too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Boy, search on username ‘Molon’ and be reading for days! I miss his testing!
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    It kind of depends on what you consider accurate enough.

Generic 55gr ball seems to range from 1.5” (if you get a good batch!) to 3” in my rifles. I don’t shoot much volume so I get better stuff now.

If you can consider non-ball ammo, maybe try the Hornady V-Max or Nosler Varmageddon loads. The 50gr V-Max is boringly precise out of my guns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    It kind of depends on what you consider accurate enough.

Generic 55gr ball seems to range from 1.5” (if you get a good batch!) to 3” in my rifles. I don’t shoot much volume so I get better stuff now.

If you can consider non-ball ammo, maybe try the Hornady V-Max or Nosler Varmageddon loads. The 50gr V-Max is boringly precise out of my guns.
    Agreed. The hornady bullets approached that 1.5 MOA realm. VMAX/AMAX are silly accurate, but a bit more expensive.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A few years ago Cabelas was selling Norma 55 gr FMJ for less than IMI or Federal and it shot very well in my 20" AR. I would say easily 1.5 MOA at 100 yards/meters in the only scoped AR I had at the time.

Federal American Eagle 50 gr tipped was great for budget ammo, but I have not seen it around much lately.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-18-22 at 06:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agreed. The hornady bullets approached that 1.5 MOA realm. VMAX/AMAX are silly accurate, but a bit more expensive.
    Also agreed and is about the best you can expect in a factory 55 gr load.

None of it is accurate enough for my tastes, which is just one of the reasons I roll my own.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I bought a case of Black Hills 55gr FMJ red box, but .223 and not 5.56mm. This was 16 years ago maybe. I recall it being the most accurate ammo I had shot up until that time... at 100 yards.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...rod103251.aspx

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd say the only thing that I remember having anything close to accuracy would have been Hornady 55 gr. Their 55 gr FMJBT was on the better side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I bought a case of Black Hills 55gr FMJ red box, but .223 and not 5.56mm. This was 16 years ago maybe. I recall it being the most accurate ammo I had shot up until that time... at 100 yards.
    Current BHA 55 FMJ uses that Hornady, I use a lot of it, and it does well.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That should be the OPs answer then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast