Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer impulse-bullet movement - hyperlink fixed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the link. I look forward to reading it this weekend.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Thanks for the link. I look forward to reading it this weekend.
    The primer ignition transfers the energy to the rear of the bullet because the powder charge acts like a non-compressible liquid. The mimic the activity with inert powder-like material which isn't exactly like real ball powder, but it recreates the motion.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Im confused. How does the bullet move without pressure?

I assume the shockwave from the HE, but would that not register as pressure against the base?

Figure 1 shows movement from primer, figure 5 does not?
    Would the particulant component of the primer blast initiate bullet movement without actual pressure development?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Would the particulant component of the primer blast initiate bullet movement without actual pressure development?
    I dont know. After thinking about it, i suppose the explosion causes the primer pressure spikes, which throws the powder into the bullet.

I still dont see a position change in figure5, unless its just too small of a movement for the graph.

Feedback Score
    Most intriguing article encountered in a very long time. Those of us that attempt to visualize what is happening in those micro seconds of initial ignition appreciate that the ARL has taken a scienctific approach to our pondering. My take aways from the parts I am able to comprehend are what Markm has posted...
    Thank you Sir for bringing this thought provoking article to our attention.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd love to see what that testing would show for the load I shoot which is nearly the opposite approach as far as primer/powder.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd love to see what that testing would show for the load I shoot which is nearly the opposite approach as far as primer/powder.
    Perhaps if these scientists could also define the percentage of affect on the load that the primer alone is responsible for...

I once had the opportunity to question a few of the leading ballisticians at SHOT regarding the energy required to engrave the rifling and the relative affect twist rate made regarding that. Opinions stated were less than 1/2 of 1 percent of the cartridges potential energy. Since we as reloaders on a hobbyist scale cannot control so many factors, we must simply shoot what works.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The best 556 powder thread got me wondering about another factor. I wonder what impact an extruded powder would have on the whole test. We've been shooting a bunch of 3031 lately that is the complete opposite of Mil ball powder. I wonder if that powder charge would also act like a non-compressible fluid too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Finally read the article and I developed the following conclusions:

1. The shock wave is likely proceeding the particles of combustion. The shock wave is the force that is compressing the propellant AND dislodging the bullet from the case.
    2. The particles of combustion and the bulk of the flame behave as a focused JET as these elements are funneled through the flash hole.
    3. The burn rate of the propellant become heterogeneous as the shock wave is likely distorting the individual kernels of powder. The physical characteristics of the kernels of powder combined with surface treatment is how burn rate is controlled. Therfore, the propellant once it has been crushed has been physically altered before it is ignited by the particles and flame jet.
    4. Cases with low load density may experience the bulk of the propellant conversion into gas inside the barrel and not the case.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The best 556 powder thread got me wondering about another factor. I wonder what impact an extruded powder would have on the whole test. We've been shooting a bunch of 3031 lately that is the complete opposite of Mil ball powder. I wonder if that powder charge would also act like a non-compressible fluid too.
    The only real difference would be a greater amount of compressible air in a case full of extruded powder compared to ball.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12