Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best gun for bird hunting?

Feedback Score

Best gun for bird hunting?

Hello folks.

I’ve only been hunting rabbits and squirrels. Now I wanna try something new and more challenging - bird shooting. Can someone recommend a compatible gun for bird hunting?

Thanks so much for your time.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What kind of birds, and where will you be shooting?

I am a big fan of the Beretta semi-auto shotguns for bird hunting. So are a lot of professional hunting guides.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Best gun for bird hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    What kind of birds, and where will you be shooting?

I am a big fan of the Beretta semi-auto shotguns for bird hunting. So are a lot of professional hunting guides.
    This is exactly what I use when bird hunting.

Will be taking my Beretta AL391 into the Dove fields very soon.

Have had it since 2004 and it has never failed or malfd in the field. I have hunted Doves every single year since 2004.

There can be a lot of shooting when the Doves are flying and I’ve literally never had the gun fail to go bang.

I also use it as my goto for clays and Pheasant hunting. (Trap - Skeet - 5 Stand - sporting clays)

The newer models are even better as they have fewer moving parts.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 08-19-22 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well start with a shotgun.
    Screw Beretta. I have an A400 and it was a piece of junk from the start. Add their horrible customer service. And they screwed me out of a rebate. I will never buy a new beretta product. If I could do it over again I would get the Browninh Maxxus 2

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve shot ducks, geese, doves, pheasants, quail, skeet, trap, sporting clays, rabbits, squirrels, and probably some other stuff with my Benelli M2 over the past 15 or so years. I’m not sure if its better or worse than any other shotgun, but I like that the buttpad doesn’t snag my shirt, because its not grippy. Thats pretty much my favorite thing about it.

The factory mod choke throws nicer patterns than any of the several aftermarket ones I’ve tried with duck/goose loads. The IC choke is great for jump-shooting whatever flying critter. It eats shells of all types with very little maintenance.

I’m not an expert shotgunner, just a dude with one shotgun.

Feedback Score
    I've only gone duck hunting on three occasions as there are limited areas within a reasonable driving distance near my home. I've used my only SG, a Beretta 1301 with Winchester drylock #4 shot. It worked :-)

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My Upland guns are 20 or 12 ga. SXSs or OUs.
    Ducks/Geese I use Beretta “autoloaders”; 1301.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Lots of different kinds of birds. Different chokes and loads for each.
    Hunting with my dad years ago he used the same belgian browning A5 12 ga. that I inherited from him for everything. Deer down to quail.

Around here bird hunting means quail, if someone's going dove hunting they say dove hunting, duck hunting they say duck hunting, and so on.

I used to use my 20 ga autoloader for quail. Now that I have a 12 ga browning citori I might try it, not realistically going to get more than 2 shots on quail anyway.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    This is exactly what I use when bird hunting.

Will be taking my Beretta AL391 into the Dove fields very soon.

Have had it since 2004 and it has never failed or malfd in the field. I have hunted Doves every single year since 2004.

There can be a lot of shooting when the Doves are flying and I’ve literally never had the gun fail to go bang.

I also use it as my goto for clays and Pheasant hunting. (Trap - Skeet - 5 Stand - sporting clays)

The newer models are even better as they have fewer moving parts.
    Well, I just put my money where my mouth is on this thread. After responding to this question I realized 2004 was a very long time ago. I decided I owed myslef a new Beretta Semi-auto all around gun.

I will be retiring my beloved AL391 to a special spot in the safe and sporting this model in this years hunting activities.

Beretta A400 Xplor Action KO Shotgun Bronze and Walnut 12ga 28"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    After many years without a shotgun I picked up a Beretta A300 Ultima last fall. It's relatively inexpensive for an autoloader but I'm very happy with it. It's soft shooting, has functioned perfectly and I can't seem to miss with the dang thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast