Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best gun for bird hunting?

Feedback Score
    Our bird hunting is different in the northeast, Alot of road riding. So I been using a 20 gauge H&R single shot for the last 20 years. Easy and quick to load and unload. Can not ride with a tube loaded in a pick up. So with shells in your shirt pocket or in your hand if you are the passenger. Quick to jump out and load. And quick to unload if you can not make a shot.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My best friend from high school posted pics of him and some friends competing at the Idaho State shoot, I knew he traveled around some and shot clays.

I asked him on facebook what kind of shotgun he used (I'm pretty impressed with my citori, lol) and he says Krieghoff K80.

I looked that up since I'd never heard of it, wow very pricy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Best gun for bird hunting?

I have been using a Beretta A300 for a couple of years for dove, duck and turkey hunting, as well as Skeet and Trap. No issues with it.
    I also have a Browning Citori, but only use it for Skeet and Trap.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    My best friend from high school posted pics of him and some friends competing at the Idaho State shoot, I knew he traveled around some and shot clays.

I asked him on facebook what kind of shotgun he used (I'm pretty impressed with my citori, lol) and he says Krieghoff K80.

I looked that up since I'd never heard of it, wow very pricy.
    Yeah, I have seen a few of them in tournaments. Very nice, but very pricey.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    After many years without a shotgun I picked up a Beretta A300 Ultima last fall. It's relatively inexpensive for an autoloader but I'm very happy with it. It's soft shooting, has functioned perfectly and I can't seem to miss with the dang thing.
    My brother in law has 2 A300's and they have been boringly reliable, even after thousands of rounds. He's a huge duck hunter and while I've gone out several times with him (probably 3-4 times a year) he's out every weekend of duck season, in Wisconsin and Iowa. I have a SXP and grew up with an 870 and love the reliability of a pump but his A300s have really made me look hard at getting one, if only I didn't invest in ARs and accessories.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For decades I used a Citori upland for all types of skeet & hunting duck, dove, and upland.

It's still a wonderful shotgun but the recoil became too much as I aged, at least for things like skeet.

Based on experience from folks at the boy scout national jamboree, I got a Beretta A3xx. They had fleets of the things that shot non-stop all day long and were never detailed cleaned even at the end of the day.

My Asomething (A300? A390?) Outlander is a fugly black shotgun made of stampings in castings with some machined parts. And some machining on the castings.

And fugly as it is it is a solid, boringly reliable, pickup truck of a shotgun that I use for nearly everything but true upland hunting now. It gets most used for skeet, five stand, and dove hunting.

So if I could only have one it would be what I would pick. I don't even know if I would want the nicer wooden variant, if anything I want a cerakote mine with some kind of a grass camo.

My Citori is a prized heirloom.
    The Beretta is a well-used and extremely versatile tool, which is equally priced but for different reasons.

These are not the finicky automatic's that you remember like 1100s or similar. They eat pretty much anything, or easy to disassemble and clean (though rarely needed).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12