Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for mom

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Shotgun for mom

Need some help guys, I’ve been out of the shotgun world for a good long time and just the other day my mom told me she is interested in picking one up as there has been a bunch of coyotes around the house and my dad saw a few in the back yard one morning. They live in the country so it’s no issue about blasting them from the back door. My mom is 58, 5’ 6” and medium build. Both her and my dad have some experience with guns but very limited.

I recommend to her to look for an 870 chambered in 20 gauge or .410, and to get buckshot, but I also said I would try and do some research to see if there’s a better route to go. I recommend against a Mossberg 500 as I used to have one and the ergonomics isn’t the best on it.

What do you guys recommend? Is there a better route than what I suggested?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Shotgun for mom

Why shotgun? They barely make sense for solidly built people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Is she dead-set on a shotgun? If not, I'd say a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10-22 would be much easier and cheaper for her to shoot. A couple Stingers or MiniMags will wreck Wily E. just fine. If it must be a shotgun, a .410 would probably be the ticket. It's hard to beat a .22 for stuff like that IMO.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My 1301 Tactical is very lightweight and very soft shooting, especially with reduced recoil rounds.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

She asked about shotguns, I figure it’s because that’s what she grew up around and some buckshot gives a bit of leeway on poor aim.

I didn’t suggest an AR or anything semiauto really as they live in NY and I’m not up to date on the laws there. Plus I’m all about trying to keep cost down for them.

Feedback Score
    They live in NY State. That sort of limits options. Do they want to kill the coyotes or just scare them away? For scaring them a 10-22 would work. For killing them a Mini-14 would be great. Or, if semi-auto is a no-go, a Ruger Ranch Rifle.
    Last edited by Rascally; 08-20-22 at 20:54.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Pretty much, but then again El Prez says otherwise.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    They live in NY State. That sort of limits options. Do they want to kill the coyotes or just scare them away? For scaring them a 10-22 would work. For killing them a Mini-14 would be great. Or, if semi-auto is a no-go, a Ruger Ranch Rifle.
    When I hear Ruger Ranch Rifle I picture a Mini-14 Ranch not an American that you're referring to.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I have shot coyotes, plus a few feral dogs, with everything from .22 lr to an M1 Garand, (whatever I had to hand), that were attacking our livestock. Coyotes are lightly built critters under all that fur, 20 to 30 lbs on average with anything bigger being a huge one. A .22 will kill one with a good hit, I can verify. I know NYS has some funky laws, good luck with the issue. Regards, Wayne

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you everyone, I will pass on the suggestions to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast