Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for mom

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hopefully she knows that coyotes don't pose a threat to humans, so I'm going to assume this is about protecting livestock. If not, someone needs to educate her on the non threat that coyotes pose to her person, and the good they do in terms of keeping nuisance animals eaten down.

Shotguns do have pretty reasonable spread at the distances you're likely to engage a coyote. In most cases, probably too much. There's a goldilocks range where the spread is still tight enough to reliably kill but loose enough it can make up for being a few inches off the vitals in your aim. That's going to depend on the load in question and the gun.

But too close and the spread will be negligible, and too far and it will be too great. Either way, the result will likely be a wounded animal instead of a clean kill. I'm all for the necessity of protecting livestock, not for thrill killing or killing out of irrational fear, but whatever the reason I'm not for wounding any animal.

In terms of which shotgun to get her, I would recommend a break action. I'm 5,8 and barely have enough wingspan to be comfortable with a pump. A double barrel 12ga with low recoil buckshot would be my preferred choice. Whatever you get her, make sure she practices with it, and knows what its range limitations are.
    Last edited by okie; 08-21-22 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    edit...
    Last edited by Rascally; 08-21-22 at 22:29.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    When I hear Ruger Ranch Rifle I picture a Mini-14 Ranch not an American that you're referring to.
    Yes, that's right. A Ruger American Ranch Bolt, like this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020906623?pid=729160 In case Ny decides all semi-autos are verboten, or semi just make them nervous for whatever reason...

Ruger calls them both "Ranch Rifle".
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wouldn’t avoid a 12ga shotgun, just heavy loads. Reduced recoil 12ga is comparable to 20ga.

I’d find a predator hunting forum and see what they use, buck seems like way more than you should need for small dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I wouldn’t avoid a 12ga shotgun, just heavy loads. Reduced recoil 12ga is comparable to 20ga.

I’d find a predator hunting forum and see what they use, buck seems like way more than you should need for small dogs.
    I agree. A woman has no problem controlling recoil if she uses good technique. Main thing is avoiding the high brass loads, as they hurt. The main issue with women and just short people in general with shotguns is the LOP is too long and the forend is too reachy on the pumps, so they lean back and don't get behind it, which results in stung shoulders. A youth model 12ga 870 might fit her nicely though. They have the extended forends, which help a lot when you have a small wingspan. You could go 20ga, but I think she'll do fine with low brass 12ga, and 20 just makes getting hits so much harder. 20ga buckshot is also generally high brass 3" shells, so the recoil might be the same in the end.

I don't think 00 buck is too much. It's a 55gr pellet doing roughly the speed of sound from low brass, so I wouldn't necessarily want to go with anything less. Single ought and #1 aren't as easy to find either since they're somewhat niche.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good point on the stock, even medium sized people are often more comfortable shooting with a youth stock. Especially when not wing shooting.

The sporting model pumps often have a forearm that extends more to the rear. Bad for tacticool loading or sidesaddles but good for those with a shorter reach.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Good point on the stock, even medium sized people are often more comfortable shooting with a youth stock. Especially when not wing shooting.

The sporting model pumps often have a forearm that extends more to the rear. Bad for tacticool loading or sidesaddles but good for those with a shorter reach.
    Medium sized person here checking in.

I just bought one of the CZ 612 home defense shotguns from Cabela's for 300 bucks, and fired it for the first time this evening. OP might be interested in going that route. It feels a lot better than the 870 Express fit and finish wise, and it's 100 dollars cheaper. Doesn't have chokes though, which might be problematic, depending on what range the coyotes are from the house. If not, I would recommend it so far. It does have the extended forend, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Voting for low recoil 12 gauge and buy/make a shorter stock if needed with Super Cell or Limbsaver pad.

Not a huge difference in 12 & 20 ballistics and quite often any difference in recoil is offset by the reduced size and weight of the 20 gauge shotgun. Fairly sure the smaller and lighter applies to the 20 gauge 870 since 1972ish.

I think Federal makes low recoil Flite Control buck which will extend the range quite a bit if the barrel you get doesn't strip the wad prematurely.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-23-22 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I don't think 00 buck is too much. It's a 55gr pellet doing roughly the speed of sound from low brass, so I wouldn't necessarily want to go with anything less. Single ought and #1 aren't as easy to find either since they're somewhat niche.
    On the contrary, #4 buck would be about right for the densest pattern with sufficient penetration I think.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    On the contrary, #4 buck would be about right for the densest pattern with sufficient penetration I think.

The coyotes around here all seem to be in the 50 pound range now. I haven't captured any of the little guys at all this year. I don't know if #4 buck would cut it on them or not. It's awfully small little shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast