Thread: Which would you choose given the parameters.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Basically. But nearly 50 percent more weight so there is more of the bullet when it does fragment. Also the longer bullet and thinner jacket causes it to fragment at much lower velocity than M193 or M855. Something like 2000 FPS.

Though I wouldnt really call it slightly longer. It's pretty significant. Here is a still shot of 55, 62, 69, and 77 grain bullets. Its from the video which I havent watched, just got the pics of the different bullets from it. A federal 55 grain FMJ has a listed length of .745 inches and a 77 grain SMK has a listed length of .994 inches.
    As a side note, M855 is a bit longer than some other 62 grain projectiles. .044” longer than Hornady FMJ, and about the same length as a Sierra 69gr SMK (855 is .006” longer). Steel being less dense than lead. Its always made me wonder why no one makes 69gr FMJ, like how 69gr 5.45 ammo used to exist, being made from 7n6 jackets with the steel portion of the core replaced by lead. I’d buy the shit out of 69gr FMJ projectiles if they were available and priced less than Hornady or RMR OTMs.

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    So what about the TMKs that people are making so much noise about regarding their "explosive performance" due to the plastic tip? Pretty much the same story on those, as well?
    jello shows earlier upset than the SMK. I’d guess the plastic tip plays a role in that, but I’m not certain. People that shoot TMKs report jealousy-inducing exterior ballistics.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-07-22 at 00:16.