Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Which would you choose given the parameters.....

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Basically. But nearly 50 percent more weight so there is more of the bullet when it does fragment. Also the longer bullet and thinner jacket causes it to fragment at much lower velocity than M193 or M855. Something like 2000 FPS.

Though I wouldnt really call it slightly longer. It's pretty significant. Here is a still shot of 55, 62, 69, and 77 grain bullets. Its from the video which I havent watched, just got the pics of the different bullets from it. A federal 55 grain FMJ has a listed length of .745 inches and a 77 grain SMK has a listed length of .994 inches.
    As a side note, M855 is a bit longer than some other 62 grain projectiles. .044” longer than Hornady FMJ, and about the same length as a Sierra 69gr SMK (855 is .006” longer). Steel being less dense than lead. Its always made me wonder why no one makes 69gr FMJ, like how 69gr 5.45 ammo used to exist, being made from 7n6 jackets with the steel portion of the core replaced by lead. I’d buy the shit out of 69gr FMJ projectiles if they were available and priced less than Hornady or RMR OTMs.

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    So what about the TMKs that people are making so much noise about regarding their "explosive performance" due to the plastic tip? Pretty much the same story on those, as well?
    jello shows earlier upset than the SMK. I’d guess the plastic tip plays a role in that, but I’m not certain. People that shoot TMKs report jealousy-inducing exterior ballistics.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-07-22 at 00:16.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That 77 TMK is class leading by almost all accounts. If I were a better shot I would have to get some. What is the real-world retained weight with those when they do not pass through? It looks to me like the majority of the mass made it past the 12" mark in that gel shot.
    No weights on these recovered bullets.

Recovered from an antelope:

Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No weights on these recovered bullets.
    So I'll assume that the tipped version makes it much less yaw dependent? i.e. you'll have the same performance as the HP one but at longer ranges? If so that makes it kind of an ultimate combo for that bullet weight (if fragging is your intent).

Basically (correct me if I'm wrong) the TMK extends the predicted terminal ballistic range of the older SMK projectile (?). If you wanted that type of terminal performance at longer ranges the TMK should be your choice from what I gather.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 09-16-22 at 19:07.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So I'll assume that the tipped version makes it much less yaw dependent? i.e. you'll have the same performance as the HP one but at longer ranges? If so that makes it kind of an ultimate combo for that bullet weight (if fragging is your intent).

Basically (correct me if I'm wrong) the TMK extends the predicted terminal ballistic range of the older SMK projectile (?). If you wanted that type of terminal performance at longer ranges the TMK should be your choice from what I gather.
    Its not yaw dependent at all, like all the newer bullets designed with terminal ballistics in mind they all use hydraulic pressure to initiate fragmentation, expansion or whatever you want the bullet to do. Thats why idiotic statements like "There's been very marginal improvements in powder and bullet manufacturing" are laughable. Yawing is terrible mechanism and introduces fleet yaw and AOA issues, better to make a bullet that expands or fragments via hydraulic pressure from the tip like the TMK because its more efficient and consistent. Thats why everything from M855A1 to TMK are fragmenting in the sub 1900 fps range. Its not just a SMK with polymer tip, its a completely different bullet design with increased BC AND increased terminal ballistics in mind.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-17-22 at 02:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow pictures are really worth 1,000 words. I used to think TMK where just a tip in a SMK.

Might be looking for TMK in the future and see if I can load them deep for a rainy day.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Wow pictures are really worth 1,000 words. I used to think TMK where just a tip in a SMK.

Might be looking for TMK in the future and see if I can load them deep for a rainy day.
    Yeah until he posted those pics I thought the same thing!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The picture is great, but having a clue to where one can find these illusive 69 & 77 grain .224 diameter Tipped Matchkings as a component bullet would be great.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 10-01-22 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    The 77 gr SMK was made for being very accurate at long range punching a hole in paper. And it is.

But testing in gel has shown it penetrates deep and expands perfect.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    The picture is great, but having a clue to where one can find these illusive 69 & 77 grain .224 diameter Tipped Matchkings as a component bullet would be great.
    Buy them when you don’t need them.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Buy them when you don’t need them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ccc51d5e2b.jpg
    Weird flex but none of these are TMKs...

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516