Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Which would you choose given the parameters.....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I like the price and availability of Gold Dot these days.
    Sarcasm, or do you have a source?

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-remington/Speer

Now Seeking
    Speer .223 Remington Ammo rifle

Nothing Found

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I see it popping up fairly regularly, at around a buck a round.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Everything I have read (I haven't shot many or any home invaders) leads me to believe that bonded soft point ammo is the answer. The military has constraints and requirements for ammo that simply do not apply to a civilian and I would no more run a military round by choice than own a HMMWV as my daily driver.

Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Everything I have read (I haven't shot many or any home invaders) leads me to believe that bonded soft point ammo is the answer. The military has constraints and requirements for ammo that simply do not apply to a civilian and I would no more run a military round by choice than own a HMMWV as my daily driver.

Andy
    I agree that for a general purpose CONUS civilian/LE load where longer distance shots are rare and where shooting in and around cars is prevalent, a good bonded SP is ideal. But if given the OP's constraints with the only SP option being FBIT3 which both has pretty bad accuracy and garbage BC since its basically a flat point hog hammer bullet then I don't think it meets the OP's needs for a good distance bullet. There's a reason I chose 75gr Gold Dot as my general purpose load since it alleviates the two main issues I have with FBIT3.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    I shoot 24" gongs gongs at 300 with irons; 30 of 30....I'm a fat mechanic.

I feel like sometimes we really go overboard with this stuff..

If you're shooting at night the game changes. I've shot to 600(meters) with 10X on a 12" plate in pitch black with NV. I'm am hilariously far from a pro.

Here's my answer...If you have an AR that's properly sighted, you're GTG.
    Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 08-23-22 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutofBatt3ry View Post
    I shoot 24" gongs gongs at 300 with irons; 30 of 30....I'm a fat mechanic.

I feel like sometimes we really go overboard with this stuff..

If you're shooting at night the game changes. I've shot to 600(meters) with 10X on a 12" plate in pitch black with NV. I'm am hilariously far from a pro.

Here's my answer...If you have an AR that's properly sighted, you're GTG.
    No one cares what you can do with iron sights off a bench, this is a technical ammo discussion. Provide relevant data or leave.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I agree that for a general purpose CONUS civilian/LE load where longer distance shots are rare and where shooting in and around cars is prevalent, a good bonded SP is ideal. But if given the OP's constraints with the only SP option being FBIT3 which both has pretty bad accuracy and garbage BC since its basically a flat point hog hammer bullet then I don't think it meets the OP's needs for a good distance bullet. There's a reason I chose 75gr Gold Dot as my general purpose load since it alleviates the two main issues I have with FBIT3.
    I actually have LE223T3 loaded in my HD mags, which I think shares the FBIT3 negatives, and a pretty decent stock of IMI 77 gr OTM. The 75 gr Gold Dot is bonded soft point, right? Just better.

My thought was that including A1 and MK318 made the question more theoretical than "I have these types of ammo on hand".

Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I actually have LE223T3 loaded in my HD mags, which I think shares the FBIT3 negatives, and a pretty decent stock of IMI 77 gr OTM. The 75 gr Gold Dot is bonded soft point, right? Just better.

My thought was that including A1 and MK318 made the question more theoretical than "I have these types of ammo on hand".

Andy
    I dont think 75gr Gold Dot is better, just different. FBIT3 is loaded hotter and holds together better through barriers, its probably the best barrier load out there. If you don't mind the 3 minute accuracy or horrible drop and wind drift past 250-300 yd mark then its the perfect ammo for your purposes.

Feedback Score
    I am going to offer a different perspective. With pistols, due to the range of engagement and the lack of "power" in a pistol, I try to find the best round. As everyone knows I think it is the Leighi Defense 68 grain in 357sig or 9mm.

But when it comes to general use rifle, I don't have the same concerns. The power of the rifle and ability to put more shots on target rapidly if it is at close distance, I don't worry about it. As the distance gets bigger I worry even less, within reason.

For urban use my rifle is a 5.56 11.5 inch AR loaded with ball.

For rural use I switch to my 6,5 Grendel with an 18 inch barrel, and this will take me way out in distance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Both rounds might be rare, but I know I can't be the only one that made a point of stocking up on Mk318 (both Mod 0 and Mod 1 versions) when it was available. M855A1 is certainly rarer than that but can be found if one specifically looks for it. Uncommon shouldn't automatically make it theoretical.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast