Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMMG Pattern Dedicated 22 LR Reliability

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Its interesting that some folks have an issue with light strikes/misfires and some with a too-stout hammer drop. You and I are a good example but the web shows neither of our guns is an outlier.

My gun was destroying FP springs, basically on every outing. It was also doubling on a full 25 round mag, and this was repeatable under specific conditions. I installed a semi-generic polished/plated GI trigger set (Brownells ?) with reduced power hammer and trigger springs and both issues were solved. It has an ok trigger for a plinker.

I run the standard/solid BB weight with SV and HV rounds. I don't remember having light strike/failure to fire issues at any point - it is notably more reliable than any other semi-auto I own.

The only issue mine has is extracting unfired cases - IMHO the CMMG pattern extractor is sub-optimal, even with the strongest BB spring. The easy fix is to just pull the trigger and the case comes right out

Andy
    That's what's great about the Hiperfire. The cam design allows more primer strike force while lightening the pull weight. I have the medium springs in and it is very light (never measured it). The heavy ones would make it lighter, but due to lower receiver tolerances, the slightly thicker heavy springs drag on the lower a little. I could fix it with a dremel touch touch up, but the trigger is light enough and the strikes are heavy enough. Yes, I found my CMMG firing pin spring totally destroyed when I changed it out with the bore buddy one. It was broken in half, but somehow still worked semi reliably. I have run a bunch of ammo with no issues. I even used the cheap Winchester copper plated hollow points in action steel with very few mishaps. Most guys stay away from Hollow points in action steel.

It looked to me, the tacom3g extractor was slightly better than the bore buddy. No measuring or science behind it. It looks to reach a little deeper and is sharper.

Clint would be better suited to look at the differences better than I.

It is working great for me though.

https://taccom3g.com/product/extreme-extractor-ar-22/

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Just an update - still shooting my 16" CMMG pattern dedicated rimfire AR with CMMG and Black Dog mags. It's still amazingly reliable and incredibly fun to shoot. I hit the range today with 2 of my sons and as usual some folks had to come check it out. It just runs and runs and my boys (ok, 30 something men) were hammering 50 yard steel plates as fast as they could squeeze the trigger.

I am guessing I am well over 10K rounds, the firing pin return spring breakage went away, and I am happier with it every time I shoot it!

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-12-23 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I should have included this in my update. My third Bore Buddy weight also broke at the bridge. BB would have replaced it, but I just filed and polished the break and continue to use #3. Now I wish I kept my broken brass weight

I say my polished and plated "GI" trigger with reduced power hammer spring is "OK" because it has so much takeup/smooth creep that it almost feels like a short 2 stage trigger with a very light second stage. It is smooth and acceptably light though.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12