Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taper Crimp vs Factory Crimp

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Taper Crimp vs Factory Crimp

I've done crimp tests before, but never a head to head Taper vs Factory crimp specifically for accuracy. I also left 5 rounds uncrimped to see if they still shoot much worse (like they did last time I tried this)

I set up the taper crimp on my single stage and I'm not sure if have it set deep enough. The round on the left also looks asymmetrically crimped for whatever reason:

Guys have asked here in the past where I set my FCD, and I finally got a pic. I turned the die down a few thowie because I think wear on the die was giving me less crimp than before.

We'll shoot these this weekend, and post results. My worry is that due to the hefty chamfer the Giraud trimmer leaves, the taper crimp might be too light. But I also don't want to go too aggressive. If the taper shoots the same as the NON-crimped, I'll redo the test with more taper.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interested in your results. I think you are a bit more agressive than I am with the FCD. But I'd have to look at pictures like you posted of my rounds to be sure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Interested in your results. I think you are a bit more agressive than I am with the FCD. But I'd have to look at pictures like you posted of my rounds to be sure.
    Compared to some of the crimps I've seen on some factory m193 style ammo, this crimp is pretty light. I'm liking the looks of is after turning the die down a little.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mark,

Are all those un-cannelured bullets?? RMR's perchance??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Mark,

Are all those un-cannelured bullets?? RMR's perchance??
    Yep. 69 gr RMRs. I still have the 75s loaded for separate 1k shooting, but I wanted to do this test on a known bullet... so the 69s are it.

Feedback Score
    Markm, you must've read my mind. Look forward to your results. I imagine you've already imagined that uneven neck thickness, some lack of case support within die, or unsquare case mouths may contribute to uneven taper crimps. I was hoping you'd do this test because I typically have 1 to 2 thou headspace difference. My unannealed or not same lot cases may have 4 or even 5 thou headspace diff. If I don't adequately lube cases (to minimize lube build up/hydraulic denting on shoulders during sizing), I end up with shorter headspace on those cases. My Kwik trim inxedes off of shoulder and contributes to case oal variance. With your Giraud trimmer indexing off shoulders, I was gonna wonder about taper crimp consistency in light of headspace variance and shoulder trim indexing contributing to oal variance which may adversely affect said taper crimp consistency. So much for overthinking it!!! I eagerly await the reality of results from you actually shooting!
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 08-25-22 at 19:35. Reason: I have trouble speaking in tongues

Feedback Score
    Can you measure the crimp? I'll post a pic and measurement of mine when I get home... also using rmr 69s.

Cant wait for results.

Feedback Score
    Would ya'll also measure expander buttons or mandrels? Thanks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Would ya'll also measure expander buttons or mandrels? Thanks?
    Expander die? Or the case mouth after expanding?

Feedback Score
    Diameter of the part of the expander die that is forced through the neck to produce final inside diameter of the case neck? Thanks
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 08-25-22 at 22:00.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast