Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taper Crimp vs Factory Crimp

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Markm, you must've read my mind. Look forward to your results. I imagine you've already imagined that uneven neck thickness, some lack of case support within die, or unsquare case mouths may contribute to uneven taper crimps.
    Definitely. I crimped these (taper) on my single stage for the test. That shell holder sometimes gets debris. I try to watch that every case inserts completely for sizing, neck expand, etc. But junk gets in there.

The RCBS mandrel would mean taking the die apart. If I get time, I'll do it. I'd like to see if there's visible wear anyway. I've sure ran well over 50k pieces through it by now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I use the taper crimp for pistol/straight walled rounds & factory crimp for rifle/necked down rounds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd love to find that the taper could be as accurate as the FCD because I simply wear dies out. My competition bullet seating die is dead and my FCD die is long in the tooth. (Neither of which are in stock now to replace) I'd love to have a setup with no moving parts to wear out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    So, with FCD, are y'all 1/2 turn past shell holder/die contact as specd by instructions? Sounds like HK may be lighter?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So, with FCD, are y'all 1/2 turn past shell holder/die contact as specd by instructions? Sounds like HK may be lighter?
    I just turn it til I get the crimp above. Not sure if that's half past or not. I'd guess I'm a little less.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This test was really interesting because the last time I did this the 77gr SMKs shot worse with no crimp. This time, with 69gr RMRs, the no crimp is arguably better. But they're all very acceptable. I don't know what the TAPER's flyer was. I did not call that shot.. nor did I feel like it broke poorly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This test was really interesting because the last time I did this the 77gr SMKs shot worse with no crimp. This time, with 69gr RMRs, the no crimp is arguably better. But they're all very acceptable. I don't know what the TAPER's flyer was. I did not call that shot.. nor did I feel like it broke poorly.
    Interesting indeed. Was this your usual 1,000 yards?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Interesting indeed. Was this your usual 1,000 yards?
    This is the 100 yard paper. I can't remember if we shot 69s to 1000, but we did shoot the 75s which is noted in the 75gr RMR thread.

Feedback Score
    Bolt gun or AR? All looks both pretty good and comparable to me. A couple or few more groups to really tell? Past 3 days my rifle has been relentless in demonstrating the need for consistent hold (and rear bag setup) to avoid flyers. Sez the guy who can't call shots because he somehow kneejerks a shot to the right that should have been left (if poa at the time of trigger pull has anything to do with it)....

Feedback Score
    Would ya'll also measure expander buttons or mandrels? Thanks?
    So I cant reach my neck expander. It will split the case quick if I go too far, i open the mouth just enough for smooth feeding.

I sanded the expander mandrel on the decapping die down to .205 and it doesnt do any work to the brass. They come in at .222" from the factory. This is rcbs for both.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-29-22 at 19:16.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast