Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taper Crimp vs Factory Crimp

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Bolt gun or AR? All looks both pretty good and comparable to me.
    This was the Geissele super duty. It has a much nicer scope than the Bolt gun. I agree that they're fairly comparable with the Taper flyer being the only area of concern because I don't think I pulled that shot. I'll probably repeat the test some more to decide what seems best.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This was the Geissele super duty. It has a much nicer scope than the Bolt gun. I agree that they're fairly comparable with the Taper flyer being the only area of concern because I don't think I pulled that shot. I'll probably repeat the test some more to decide what seems best.
    I’m looking forward to reading about it.

Feedback Score
    For hand-loads that are capable of producing statistically significant sub-MOA precision when fired from an AR-15 that has a match-grade barrel, crimping the case-mouth/bullet will degrade precision. The graphic below shows the results of three 10-shot groups fired in a row using hand-loads topped with the 77 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet (along with MK262 Mod 1 for comparison.)

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That fairly closely mirrors the 69gr RMR test in this thread. But the variable that the crimp theoretically helps with is inconsistent neck hardness from non-annealed case mouths. I say theoretically because it's difficult to prove.

In a perfect world.. if I weren't loading hundreds of OTMs per week, and only fired 20 or so really good loads... I'd figure out an annealing process and strive to eliminate the Lee FCD.

So the Factory Crimp Die is a work around to improve accuracy with mixed brass of varying case mouth/neck hardness so that higher volumes of ammo can be made. Prior testing (4-5 years ago) showed significant accuracy loss without the FCD with 77s. I may retry that again since the 69gr test showed some promise with un-crimped ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That fairly closely mirrors the 69gr RMR test in this thread. But the variable that the crimp theoretically helps with is inconsistent neck hardness from non-annealed case mouths. I say theoretically because it's difficult to prove.

In a perfect world.. if I weren't loading hundreds of OTMs per week, and only fired 20 or so really good loads... I'd figure out an annealing process and strive to eliminate the Lee FCD.

So the Factory Crimp Die is a work around to improve accuracy with mixed brass of varying case mouth/neck hardness so that higher volumes of ammo can be made. Prior testing (4-5 years ago) showed significant accuracy loss without the FCD with 77s. I may retry that again since the 69gr test showed some promise with un-crimped ammo.
    This discussion coupled with the primer pressure-wave thread makes me wonder if powder choice is a relevent variable.

Molon, what powder are you using?

Once I tighten up some other stuff on my end, I'll try an experiment as well. I need to find better primers first!

Side note: how important is neck expansion with bthp brass jackets? I can feed them rmr bullets with no expansion, which i assume is due to the brass jacket being slightly harder than pure copper (nossler cc would get material scraped off).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-30-22 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    For hand-loads that are capable of producing statistically significant sub-MOA precision when fired from an AR-15 that has a match-grade barrel, crimping the case-mouth/bullet will degrade precision. The graphic below shows the results of three 10-shot groups fired in a row using hand-loads topped with the 77 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet (along with MK262 Mod 1 for comparison.)

Great info, as usual.
    I seem to remember hearing that a FCD improves accuracy. Interesting, I think this is is first time I've seen data that proves what it does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree that comparing handloading with cases fired multiple times (and with different numbers of times fired) to new production ammo isn't completely apples to apples.

I always apply a light crimp to improve consistency, and have had great results.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    This discussion coupled with the primer pressure-wave thread makes me wonder if powder choice is a relevent variable.
    Has to be. Different bulk densities and burn rates have to play a role. You know? Those psycho friggin CCI 41 primers might pair up well with Varget (stray thought) due to it's relatively slower powder burn rate.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I agree that comparing handloading with cases fired multiple times (and with different numbers of times fired) to new production ammo isn't completely apples to apples.

I always apply a light crimp to improve consistency, and have had great results.
    Even when I loaded same batch LaPua in .308, I would get wildly different neck tension in the same 50 round box all fired together. That's when I started annealing large caliber. I just can't do it on .223 due to volume.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To crimp or not to crimp...
    1. Bolt action = no crimp
    2. Semiautomatic = crimp

There is a point where the compromise between reliability and consistent precision lies. In the slam bam world of a push feed semiautomatic rifle, how much neck tension can reliably hold a bullet without a crimp?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    To crimp or not to crimp...
    1. Bolt action = no crimp
    2. Semiautomatic = crimp

There is a point where the compromise between reliability and consistent precision lies. In the slam bam world of a push feed semiautomatic rifle, how much neck tension can reliably hold a bullet without a crimp?
    I don't crimp .308 gas gun ammo and that doesn't seem to be any issue.. And my neck tension is pretty good on the seating die before crimp. I could totally go No Crimp if that was what yielded the best results.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast