Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta A400 Xplor Action

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Beretta A400 Xplor Action

Just picked up my new A400 Xplor Action. I own a number of shotguns but this one was purchased to replace my Beretta AL391, purchased new in 2004 for considerably less money.

Hard to remember exactly but roughly 1/2 of what the new gun cost.

I have a few observations. I have not shot the gun yet, this is entirely based upon unboxing, cleaning and adjusting.

Most of this is contrasting to my AL391, purchased new in 2004 and what was included and what wasn't.

• Not impressed with the cardboard box for the price
    • Not impressed it comes with a flat lifter that caused issues with the 391 and was replaced
    • Not impressed with only three choke tubes (Pretty sure the 391 came with a full set of chokes)
    • Not impressed with no plastic choke tube holders
    • No manual, just some large peice of paper in around 100 languages
    • I like the kick-off option availability
    • I like the rotating bolt
    • I like the easier to clean gas system
    • Like that the A400 comes with an orange bead
    • Like the A400 comes with front and rear sling attachment points
    • Overall I really like the gun but it is obvious Beretta is providing less for more money

Love the look, feel, and perceived quality. A lot of the parts, other than the gas system and bolt, seem very similar to the 391. I suppose I expected more differences in nearly 20 years. But I'm also counting the fact that the gas sytem is pretty much the same as my Xtrema2 that I have also had for a very long time.

I'm hoping she runs as fast as she looks.

ETA: I pulled the 391 out to verify cast settings and some direct comparisons follow after changing the A400 to 65 DX to match the 391.
    • A400 noticeably lighter
    • A400 smaller around the grip
    • A400 trigger set back a bit when aligned butt pad to butt pad and end of stock to end of stock
    • A400 KO system vastly different from Xtrema2 and seems cheap in comparison, perhaps it is all that is necessary for a 3” chambered gun
    • A400 “Wood” more of a matte finish and overall better looking

Last edited by HKGuns; 08-25-22 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Beauty! I keep going round and round about buying an A400.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I can't speak to the earlier beretta autos but my A300 has been perfect. That A400 is beautiful IMO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is the flat lifter that you dislike?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Not sure if it's your thing, but I think the Beretta 1301 Comp Pro Lifter can be retrofitted to the A400. The lifter stays up for super easy loading.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    What is the flat lifter that you dislike?
    Its the shell lifter that you push up when you load shells into the tube. Its function is to lift the shells up for the bolt to drive them into the barrel.

The flat one's have a history, at least in the 391 series of going bad, this one looks exactly the same as the one I replaced in my 391 around 10 years ago when it was causing feeding issues on my 391. It was replaced with an angled one from the 390 series for reliability. They are pretty much all interchangeable, so if you own a Beretta with a flat lifter, buy a 390 angled lifter as insurance.

1x 97-C53667: Beretta 390 12ga Carrier (bent)
    Last edited by HKGuns; 08-26-22 at 08:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How does the lifter go bad? I’ve never heard of lifter problems with the 1301, it’s the tactical A400 model.

If you want to replace the lifter I second the pro style. It stays up and really makes loading easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Not sure if it's your thing, but I think the Beretta 1301 Comp Pro Lifter can be retrofitted to the A400. The lifter stays up for super easy loading.
    Unless you have a 3” A400, then use the 1301 tactical pro lifter.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Is the wood "Fake Wood? Berretta and Parazzi have done in the past.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes Beretta Auto wood has been fake since the 391 was introduced way back when I was a much younger version of myself. In reality it is real wood with a fake finish. But don’t ask me how they make it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Thanks but this has a 3” chamber. The only time I use 3.5” is for water-fowling and my Xtrema2 covers that perfectly.

I took it to the pattern board today and the POI = POA exactly with a very even distribution of pellets. (#6 Steel)
    Last edited by HKGuns; 08-26-22 at 21:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast