Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo prices - Are we still in an ammo shortage?

Feedback Score

Ammo prices - Are we still in an ammo shortage?

Are we still really in an ammo shortage, or are ammunition manufacturers purposefully keeping ammo prices high?

I feel like stores around me are all fully stocked with most ammo, yet they're still charging .40/round for 9mm FMJ and .50-60/round for .223/5.56 FMJ. Still literally charging double what it should be.

Is it just because people are still paying the high prices, so they see no need to lower them, or is it actually costing ammo manufactures double what it used to to make ammo?

I understand capitalism and supply and demand, but the supply seems high these days with less demand, so I don't understand why ammo prices are still double.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Raw materials are surely still pretty high... Even lead I was told by a guy. Lead shot is the expensive part of shot shell loading. Running plants at overtime capacity probably plays a role too.

Until the stuff start gathering dust on the shelves, it will remain high. Gun owners are the worst doom and gloom panic goofballs ever. Their own worst enemy. I'm happy to pull back and buy less when demand is retarded.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I can't understand it either, even though I feel online you can find most ammo at decent prices. Box stores are still out of their minds. But the 6.5CM being almost non existence in box stores and if it is, it cost a fortune. 6.5cm has me the most dumbfounded when you can find 308 at very fair prices.

Online , fairly back to normal
    LGS and Big Box is still insane

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Until the stuff start gathering dust on the shelves, it will remain high. Gun owners are the worst doom and gloom panic goofballs ever. Their own worst enemy. I'm happy to pull back and buy less when demand is retarded.
    So true. Luckily i stocked up on 9mm and 5.56 before the panic, so i haven't bought a single round of that in the past 24 months, but i've still been shooting a lot so i feel like I need to start restocking at some point. I do agree that online prices are starting to get better, which is nice, but it still hard to find some of the other calibers i shoot (6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 PRC, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    But the 6.5CM being almost non existence in box stores and if it is, it cost a fortune. 6.5cm has me the most dumbfounded when you can find 308 at very fair prices.

PB
    I don't understand that one either! On a side note, speaking of 6.5 Creed, have you had a chance to shoot the new Barnes 127gr LRX bullet? I mainly do PRS type shooting with my 6Creed and 6.5 Creed, but like to long range hunt as well. That bullet shows a G1 BC of .468. Curious if you guys have played with it yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I can't understand it either, even though I feel online you can find most ammo at decent prices. Box stores are still out of their minds. But the 6.5CM being almost non existence in box stores and if it is, it cost a fortune. 6.5cm has me the most dumbfounded when you can find 308 at very fair prices.

Online , fairly back to normal
    LGS and Big Box is still insane

PB
    PB, you got me thinking of when was the last time I did buy from a gunstore or brick & mortar place.... been years. ALL my ammo comes in online, and most of that from one source. If anyone wants the best deals..just sign up for emails. I get them daily and am often shocked how good the prices are.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    PB, you got me thinking of when was the last time I did buy from a gunstore or brick & mortar place.... been years. ALL my ammo comes in online, and most of that from one source. If anyone wants the best deals..just sign up for emails. I get them daily and am often shocked how good the prices are.
    All the gun stores around here know PB personally. Some have a parking spot saved for him.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Online prices seem 'reasonable', LGS prices, absurdly high. All my purchases are done online.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    All the gun stores around here know PB personally. Some have a parking spot saved for him.
    ^^ No doubt True Story. : )
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I associate a shortage with empty shelves.

You can buy just about anything again. Factoring in inflation, prices aren't ansurd.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HAHA...from what I gather about him AND you, they probably "close up early" after either one of you leave!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast