Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo prices - Are we still in an ammo shortage?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Factory fodder is still way too high. Hand loading component's are slowly becoming plentiful.

Just in the last two weeks I bought 2,000 CCI 450 primers for $90. per K from Graf's and 750 Nosler 69 grain CC bullets @ .24 cents a bullet from Midway. And AA2230, AA2495, CFE223, H335, IMR3031, Ramshot TAC & Exterminator are all available direct from Hodgdon.

The the prices are awful compared to the salad days pre-2020, but at least stuff is available, unlike almost all of 2021.

I can now continue to reload, shoot, reload and shoot some more. And make last my dwindling stash of factory ammo, that I can't now afford to replace.

At least I can still shoot.....
    Last edited by BobinNC; 09-18-22 at 14:10. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ Yes.
    I run Precision Delta or Zero JHPs as range ammo. Superior accuracy over FMJ’s and running comps you don’t get leading like you do with FMJ having exposed lead base.
    Bonus is the PD load I worked up is a duplicate in POA/POI for my carry load of 124 gr, +P Gold Dot.

Roze actually has these in stock currently. (in the big boxes even)

Other good stuff as well...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I doubt I have enough ball pistol bullets to make much more than a case of ammo.

I don't think I have any... I shoot almost exclusively lead in handguns.

(And I have a 5-10 year supply of bullets.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I don't think I have any... I shoot almost exclusively lead in handguns.

(And I have a 5-10 year supply of bullets.)
    Have none of those as yet but...

Guy that leases the other half of the building where my shop is at has what I would call light industrial grade powdercoating tools and supplies and am seriously considering piling up lead projectiles and going on a powdercoating spree one weekend. I would not have to buy anything other than the powder and could literally walk right next door after work to do the stuff. Has already told me I could use his tools and he would get me going in the right direction...

As prices continue to go higher and higher on jacketed bullets (heck, all bullets) shooting powdercoated lead seems more and more worthwhile for a lot of the guns I shoot.

Not having to buy the tools or the ovens and having a guy that was really into that sort of thing there to be able to provide instruction would keeps things cheap, easy and fast as far as the powdercoating is concerned.

Feedback Score
    I think prices are still high to keep people from emptying shelves. I saw cci #41s in stock the other day. They wanted $110 per 1000. I laughed at them told them to keep it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I think prices are still high to keep people from emptying shelves. I saw cci #41s in stock the other day. They wanted $110 per 1000. I laughed at them told them to keep it.
    Top dollar for horrible primers? What's not to love? I still need to figure out what to do with the 41s we have. I have to "work down" a load to get them to stop popping out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I think prices are still high to keep people from emptying shelves...

I laughed at them told them to keep it.

Well done. This is how a free market works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Top dollar for horrible primers? What's not to love? I still need to figure out what to do with the 41s we have. I have to "work down" a load to get them to stop popping out.
    I’ll buy them off you….. not at 110 per though…. I’ve had good luck with them, but I’m not loading them as hot as you guys are.

I know you’ve said you liked the wolf primers, what else do you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I’ll buy them off you….. not at 110 per though…. I’ve had good luck with them, but I’m not loading them as hot as you guys are.

If I had good old Win SR primers I'd be happy. They're kinda right down the middle of the fairway. Federal AR Match have also grown on me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Plenty of us use and like the 41's and do NOT have issues like Mark seems to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast