Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Range 16" Build

Feedback Score

Long Range 16" Build

I wanted to learn distance shooting, and my CL 14.5" barrel wasnt giving me the results I needed.

I have weekly access to a 700yd range with 1000yds available once a month or so. I built the following to push the limits of a 16" 223/5.56 and develop my LR skills.

Tip-to-butt:
    FCD brake
    Harris hbrs with badger mlok adapter
    Larue Stealth 16"
    Giessele Mk8 15"
    Aero upper
    Bcm bcg
    Bcm mod4
    Anvil arms lower
    Bcm gf3 grip
    Larue MTB
    Reptilla AUS
    Brownells MPO 3-18
    Arrendondo magwell
    B5 bravo

Called flier opens the group to 1.5"
    Shot with bang bag and bipod off wooden bench. I believe the higher shots are something Im doing. Still learning:
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-15-23 at 16:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was TODAY years old when I found out that the words Long Range & 16" could be used in the same sentence.
    Brother thats fine shooting right there, NICE rig. What ammo?
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 08-28-22 at 22:18.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I was TODAY years old when I found out that the words Long Range & 16" could be used in the same sentence.
    Brother thats fine shooting right there, NICE rig. What ammo?
    Haha, yeah... im using the term in a 223 context.
    69gr handloads. Ill be trying these and also working up some 75s for 1k.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Very nice looking carbine.
    I find I shoot better from a bag or back pack than with bipod, just if you haven’t tried it.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Very nice looking carbine.
    I find I shoot better from a bag or back pack than with bipod, just if you haven’t tried it.
    Thanks, ill try it. Im definately doing something wrong. I was messing with trigger pulls and bipod tension (how hard the stock is in my shoulder), and it moves my poi up and down. The three high shots were "looser".

I should be on the 700yd tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Very nice. Flyers or not, those are good real world results. I look forward to seeing your work with this build.

Feedback Score
    Most impressive, thank you for the specs noted, may adapt and try a new build to start doing distance shooting as well.

Feedback Score
    Had a great day. Had repeatable hits out to 650 on c-zone (5 in a row). Followed with a first-attempt hit on a 4" plate at 600. (First round on that target, but had windage from 550 &650). Not super repeatable, but a good confidence boost.

I'm going to work this load and try new primers and boosting the charge. It cycles but does not lock back on empty mag (69gr x 2725fps). Im getting random, unexplainable shots around .3 mil off, always seems to be high/left. Trying to determine if its me or the load.

Almost forgot, dude I met had a USO 6-36x(iirc), very nice. My scope absolutely works at these distances, and I love the reticle, but i see where the 3x price goes... clarity was noticably better, and no noticable chromatic abarration. The brownells has blatent abbaration on 18x but the reticle is crisp and tracks very well. Image is clear enough to see what I need to at 700. The image clears up a bit just dropping down to 15x. He also showed me up with his 20" AR on the headhunter... time to put more work in!

In pic: l->r truck=675, yellow head-hunter around 630, large and c-zone ipsc 650, large ipsc and KYL 700

Last edited by MegademiC; 08-30-22 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nice!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Well that’s a good time. Well done!
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast