Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SA hits 2011 market

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This little review ain't bad either. Bottom line - gun has (likely correctable) issues, and now I'm seeing more acknowledgment of feedway stoppages in particular. Some guys argue that SA is famous for undersprung 9mm 1911's anyhow, and a stiffer recoil spring will remediate. I'd just say SA is famous for these exact kinds of QC issues.

By the time you correct all these shortcomings, you bought yourself a Stacatto. I wish it was better but that's the 1911 world already.

In 6 months I might buy one locally from a frustrated user if I can get my hands on it and look inside first. For a grand or so I'd play with it and sort it out because I like doing that sort of thing. But the gun would have to at least have its slide and barrel fitted right.

Last edited by JiminAZ; 09-03-22 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    There is the cost of upgrading parts- and the risk of jacking it up- along with the cost of the ammo to work out the kinks. And then you have a Franken-gun, that you never quite know is ‘right’.

Versus a Staccato, which if it hiccups, gets put into a box and sent away for ‘re-education’…..

So maybe a good gun for people that buy SA guns all the time. There are a lot of people like that.

And we all point to the Staccato as the pinnacle, when the SVI guys look at those and go, Mehhh. And then the full custom guys look down on those…
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 09-03-22 at 12:24.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    So far I’ve seen nearly every legitimate non-shill video with the reviewer mentioning feeding malfunctions on the 5”, but not the 4.25. I’m one of those that expect the 5” is undersprung like the rest of their 9mm guns.

My hope is that either a forum member gets the 5”, has those issues, tries a 13lbs spring and everything is better. OR, that we validate that the 4.25” is more reliable and runs with a dot better than a 5”, and it’s the way to go. Or they both suck and that’ll save me money. Either way.

Feedback Score
    So looking at the Stacado website a apples to Apple‘s comparison would be a $2300 gun to this $1500 gun. It’s not a nothing difference, but when you figure in the cost of ammo a class here there and you get a staccato versus in Springfield armory gun I know which way I will aim. Now if their Xc version is $2000 versus 4500 or whatever for the staccato. And it’s a gamer gun anyway. That might be interesting.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seems like it has potential. Too windy for any real accuracy testing.

Trigger is good. Crisp and no creep. Breaks consistently at 4.5 poinds. Slide to frame fit and barrel fitment seem good.

Stupid 2-piece guide rod that SA uses in some other guns. These never seem to stay tight. It needs to be replaced with something else. Plan B is red loktite and drill for a paper clip.

Teething problems do exist. The Internet is alive with stories of reliability issues especially with the 5" guns. The 4.25" seem to be fairing better. Is it a slide mass issue? Barrels or some other parts from a different subcontractor?

Something else I saw on somebody's youtu.be channel is that the mags are happiest with shorter ammo. If he mentiond an ideal OAL I don't recall. Seems moot since most factory ammo is rarely 1.169 inches.

Time will tell but Springfield Armory seems to have knocked it out of the park with these.

Interestingly the 4.25" appears to be true Commander in slide travel unlike some other guns that are government model travel. In theory the government is supposed to be more reliable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    So looking at the Stacado website a apples to Apple‘s comparison would be a $2300 gun to this $1500 gun. It’s not a nothing difference, but when you figure in the cost of ammo a class here there and you get a staccato versus in Springfield armory gun I know which way I will aim. Now if their Xc version is $2000 versus 4500 or whatever for the staccato. And it’s a gamer gun anyway. That might be interesting.
    Price difference is significant but these aren't necessarily apples to apples. External appearance is very close but the Springfield is full of MIM. The Staccato is not. The SA is reported to be Cerakote or some other cured spray paint. The Staccato is DLC. There are other differences as well. More hand fitting for the Staccato. Nicer pistol bag too for whatever that's worth. Plus a mag well. At this time the SA does not come with a mag well. I have seen nothing yet on which mag wells will fit. I assume Dawson has one in the works...

With that said, there really should be no reason these new guns won't be solid. The barrel, frame and slide are likely good quality. Any decent Smith or even weekend hobbyist can gut and ditch all the MIM and replace with Ed Brown or whichever internals are the user's preference. Atlas, Staccato, MBX, etc mags should work if a person wants or needs mags that are more vetted.

So it should be entirely possible that we'll see shops like Vulcan offering a "Prodigy Upgrade" where you send in the gun and they will replace the internals and do a few other odds and ends.

I believe these are poised to be essentially the equivalent of the Springfield milspec. Pretty close to adequate for new buyers or casual plinkers. And a solid offering for those who want a full build for competition or defense who don't want to pay $800-$1000 more for another brand only to turn around and spend more money on trigger work, porting, etc.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Price difference is significant but these aren't necessarily apples to apples. External appearance is very close but the Springfield is full of MIM. The Staccato is not. The SA is reported to be Cerakote or some other cured spray paint. The Staccato is DLC. There are other differences as well. More hand fitting for the Staccato. Nicer pistol bag too for whatever that's worth. Plus a mag well. At this time the SA does not come with a mag well. I have seen nothing yet on which mag wells will fit. I assume Dawson has one in the works...

With that said, there really should be no reason these new guns won't be solid. The barrel, frame and slide are likely good quality. Any decent Smith or even weekend hobbyist can gut and ditch all the MIM and replace with Ed Brown or whichever internals are the user's preference. Atlas, Staccato, MBX, etc mags should work if a person wants or needs mags that are more vetted.

So it should be entirely possible that we'll see shops like Vulcan offering a "Prodigy Upgrade" where you send in the gun and they will replace the internals and do a few other odds and ends.

I believe these are poised to be essentially the equivalent of the Springfield milspec. Pretty close to adequate for new buyers or casual plinkers. And a solid offering for those who want a full build for competition or defense who don't want to pay $800-$1000 more for another brand only to turn around and spend more money on trigger work, porting, etc.

Good points.....if the goal is to sell to those that want a 2011 but are cost conscious...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    Good points.....if the goal is to sell to those that want a 2011 but are cost conscious...
    I'd say the market comparison is more BUL vs Springfield as opposed to Springfield vs Staccato.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This may help explain why we're seeing some reliability issues.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Have reamer and stones. Can fix.

Sure wish someone would show the fang marks on the slide stop so we can see how that barrel is fitted.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 09-06-22 at 12:25.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast