Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF is going to have an amnesty for braced pistols

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Are they going to require it to be engraved?

FJB1…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Are they going to require it to be engraved?
    Certainly. You can engrave other places besides the receiver though, and it doesn't have to be pretty. I have a set of metal punches I use to mark the barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Seems like a backdoor registration to me. Just another way for them to know what you have so they know what to confiscate.

Plus, once registered, I'm guessing you need a .20 Form to take it between states.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    This 100%. This isn't an elaborate trap, as you point out, this is just the ATF trying to clean up its own mess. And we get free tax stamps out of it.
    While this is true, you must not dismiss the liberal mindset when it comes to their failures. Everything they screw up is an opportunity for more on their want list. I can easily see them realizing that they just parlayed their screwup in to the registration of millions of guns. So, why not tens of millions more that are only different by the length of the barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lot of people seem to keep talking about free stamps, where is that coming from?

From the proposal-

"Alternative 5—Forgiveness of the NFA Tax. This alternative would allow individuals and entities that currently have firearms with attached “stabilizing braces” to apply and register firearms under the NFA without paying the $200 making tax. In this scenario, the societal costs would be the same except there would be no transfer payment. Similar to the proposed rule, the bulk of this cost would be the foregone future revenue and the loss in property for individuals not applying under the NFA.[30]

This scenario was rejected because “stabilizing braces” are not serialized and an individual or entity could merely register all firearms possessed with the intent of later obtaining a “stabilizing brace.” Further, although the “brace” is used on a particular weapon, an individual might register all pistols as SBRs and then attempt to utilize other stocks on these firearms."

That last line also seems to hint that they are angling to somehow not treat any registered braced pistols as SBR's and disallow putting stocks on them after registration. Am I reading this wrong?
    Last edited by wildcard600; 09-06-22 at 15:41.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at (11) through (14) in the budget request justification.
    https://www.scribd.com/document/5910...oad&from_embed

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, they're estimating that this will only impact 25,716 firearms, not 20 to 40 million. Where did these "respondents" come from? Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Take a look at (11) through (14) in the budget request justification.
    https://www.scribd.com/document/5910...oad&from_embed

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, they're estimating that this will only impact 25,716 firearms, not 20 to 40 million. Where did these "respondents" come from? Am I missing something?
    Guess you needed to be put on a double super secret list to have one of those 25,716 firearms. All others can get bent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    Guess you needed to be put on a double super secret list to have one of those 25,716 firearms. All others can get bent.
    Hopefully that number will be only those who comply.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    This throws another wrench in it for me, I also live in IL. I just measured my mk18, brace collapsed, it's 26 3/8. But that's with flash hider. Don't they want the measurement to the end of the barrel and not the flashhider? My mk 18 is obviously not 26 or over to the end of the barrel.
    SBR OAL is measured with the STOCK fully extended and with the muzzle device removed. If you’re in Illinois you’ll need to get your Type 3 FFL before you can register it as an SBR.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    They are going to require a picture of the firearm with the brace, I think those thinking they are going to get a free SBR stamp are mistaken. This it the ATF they aren't going to give anything away bet money you get caught putting a stock on a registered pistol they will arrest you for a unregistered SBR. The reason for the amnesty is because the SCOTUS slap down of the EPA making rules that caused large adverse economic effects, this is a way for them to get around that. I really see no upside for participating in this.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 09-06-22 at 17:49.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast