Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Priced 1911s

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Low Priced 1911s

Just when I thought the 1911 fad was over, I started to notice more and more budget price/low end 1911s.

I resisted the urge to buy cheap a few years ago when the RIA and other budget 1911s hit the market and again this year. Instead I bought a Colt in the 2000s and the new Springfield Armory Garrison.

After living with both guns for a while, I am not convinced it was the smart thing to do, especially the Springer.

Considering my SA is loaded with sharp edges and MIM parts, has remarkably "wavy" slide flats, and uses a non-standard firing pin; how much worse off would I have been to buy a RIA, SDS, or (Italian) Charles Daly pistol for just over 1/2 the price?

Andy

P.S. Partial buyer's regret, yep. Should have saved for a Dan Wesson...
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-03-22 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "........how much worse off would I have been to buy a RIA, SDS, or (Italian) Charles Daly....?"

They wouldn't have had SA on the slide. That's all.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. SAs non premium 1911s are complete shit. What you dream of actually happened decades ago. The Norinco 1911 could be had for $275, and was a good cheap 1911. I saw a few poorly fit barrels, but I had one that was great by 1911 standards.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. SAs non premium 1911s are complete shit. What you dream of actually happened decades ago. The Norinco 1911 could be had for $275, and was a good cheap 1911. I saw a few poorly fit barrels, but I had one that was great by 1911 standards.
    What I liked and like about the Norincos is that they didn't have funky serrations, MIM, etc. They were basically a Chinese built WWII era 1911, warts and all.

$275 in 1990 (ish) vs $400 now is not a terrible increase if the SDS guns are indeed forged slide and frame (although supposedly SDS is stopping production of parked guns in favor of cerracoat) https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-...rmy-wg-1911a1/

I was playing with an Italian Charles Daly Field 1911 yesterday ($375) at the LGS and thinking that replacing hammer, sear, disco, extractor, FP stop, safety, and slide stop with milled parts would be the same cost as milled parts for my Garrison. At least the serrations are right

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Been out of the 1911 loop a while now, but within reason, was the poster child example for the expression "you get what you pay for" and buy once cry once was my approach at the time I owned and CCWd 1911s.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1911s will never go away. Everything is cyclical, but the 1911 design is immortal.

Some of the cheaper ones could use a dirt nap though.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd sell them both and get a nicer 1 1911.

Dan Wesson or something like. But to me a 1911 is a 1911. They are slightly more relevant than a revolver in 2022.

Feedback Score
    The 1911 is functional yet 'classic' firearm that most gun enthusiasts should own. Other examples are 870 pump action SG with wood furniture, 30-30 lever rifle, Colt or S&W revolver, Ruger 10/22 with wood stock, Browning Hi-Power, and a bolt action .308, just my thoughts. My personal 1911 is a simple Colt gold cup trophy, range use only.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a RIA Tac in 10mm... it shoots well with no mag issues or ammo issues, but it is heavier gun ...feels like s 5lb weight..lol and I hate the stock fiber optic front and white dot rear sights... trigger isn't too bad..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Just when I thought the 1911 fad was over, I started to notice more and more budget price/low end 1911s.

I resisted the urge to buy cheap a few years ago when the RIA and other budget 1911s hit the market and again this year. Instead I bought a Colt in the 2000s and the new Springfield Armory Garrison.

After living with both guns for a while, I am not convinced it was the smart thing to do, especially the Springer.

Considering my SA is loaded with sharp edges and MIM parts, has remarkably "wavy" slide flats, and uses a non-standard firing pin; how much worse off would I have been to buy a RIA, SDS, or (Italian) Charles Daly pistol for just over 1/2 the price?

Andy

P.S. Partial buyer's regret, yep. Should have saved for a Dan Wesson...
    As a new Dan Wesson owner myself.....I would recommend to get a Dan Wesson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast