Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my RDS increasing muzzle rise?

Feedback Score

Is my RDS increasing muzzle rise?

I've noticed the muzzle rise / flip on my Beretta 92X RDO seems exaggerated since putting an optic on it.

It seemed worse still recently with extremely sweaty hands. The gun itself has aggressive texture, my two-handed grip good, but it feels like the recoil / muzzle flip has increased gusto and its annoying / feels like its slowing down follow ups.

I'm mostly firing 147 gr Freedom Munitions steel and my mild brass reloads. (147 gr coated, 3.0 gr Titegroup, @825 fps.)

Is the additional weight of the Holosun 507C plus steel mounting plate plus highish mount system causing this or is it in my head?

I haven't changed any gun springs. It has what it came with. Not even at 1000 rds yet through this gun. Maybe 600-700.

I just don't remember having to make an effort before.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Simple physics. There's more reciprocating mass that's high on the gun, rearward of the "pivot point" where you hold the gun while in recoil and you're doing in on what is a light slide to begin with, so yes, I'd expect you might notice more muzzle rise.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is why a lot comps are on the rise of seems....

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Wondering out loud here…

Are you sure that the muzzle rise is higher or is it that you can “see” the dot move more / you are still adjusting to the RDS compared to irons?

Others have written on the adjustment from irons to RDS. I have only done one class with a RDS, but it took some time to adjust. I shot irons for a CC state class and surprised myself with speed that came naturally. That clued me into not really being used to the RDS yet.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Any additional muzzle rise seeming to have "exaggerated since putting an optic on it" is quite likely simply your ability to more clearly see the amount of muzzle rise with Optic.
    Shooting Optics one is "Threat/target Focused", shooting Irons one is "Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight" focused.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Any additional muzzle rise seeming to have "exaggerated since putting an optic on it" is quite likely simply your ability to more clearly see the amount of muzzle rise with Optic.
    Shooting Optics one is "Threat/target Focused", shooting Irons one is "Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight" focused.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    This is why a lot comps are on the rise of seems....
    Yes, but because people are seeing their flip, rather than there being more of it. If the amount of muzzle flip increase was significant, people wouldn’t be flocking to Carry Optics Division.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Okay.

Sure seems like there is more torque to the muzzle flip, though.

I'm not sure the amount of total weight added. A small amount was milled out of the slide by Beretta of course. 3 oz added total? Just a guess.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Wondering out loud here…

Are you sure that the muzzle rise is higher or is it that you can “see” the dot move more / you are still adjusting to the RDS compared to irons?

Others have written on the adjustment from irons to RDS. I have only done one class with a RDS, but it took some time to adjust. I shot irons for a CC state class and surprised myself with speed that came naturally. That clued me into not really being used to the RDS yet.
    There is a bit more mass on the rear of the slide, but probably not enough to have a large enough effect for you to notice. I'd agree with Jedi and gaijin. You're likely just more aware of what's going on using the dot.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I just recently bought a 92x centurion RDO. I added the a red dot, but have not fired it. The plate that beretta sent me was heavier then I thought it would be. It also mounts the red dot higher then normal. I could see where it would change the feel, I have heard of some people having feeding issues once they add the set up. I should know in a few days.

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Agreed on it being perception only... or at least 98% perception... There could be a very slight increase.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast