Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Introduces the New 308 Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle (SFAR)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Ruger Introduces the New 308 Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle (SFAR)

Looks like Ruger is stuffing a .308 in a standard AR size rifle with an enlarge mag well. Wonder if other (read better) AR manufacturers will follow suit. I would imagine a 6.5CM will be next assuming it takes off.

Ruger Introduces the New 308 Small-Frame Autoloading Rifle (SFAR)

Ruger SFAR
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    POF and Colt have done it. It seems like the “right” approach if it works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    POF and Colt have done it. It seems like the “right” approach if it works.
    Don't SIG and LMT have a similar .308 AR ?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henri View Post
    Don't SIG and LMT have a similar .308 AR ?
    Nope, those are full-sized AR308s that weigh 8lbs+, give or take, and use AR308 parts. The Ruger is basically an AR15 that takes AR308 mags and shoots .308.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    There have been multiple attempts at a small frame in the past decade or so. DPMS/RemDef, POF, Adams Arms, Colt, Savage, and Mega/Zev have all tried it in the past and none of them really took off AFAIK. Interesting that DD, SIG, and H&K all stuck with the large frame format, makes me wonder what the reasoning was, given that their products are relatively new. We'll see if Ruger's attempt will go anywhere or if it'll die on the vine.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-06-22 at 20:27.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I wish POF, Ruger, Savage, and whoever else wants to make a small frame .308 (RIP DPMS) would collaborate and come up with a standard/TDP. That would be a major selling point for me. Call it something different to eliminate confusion.

But we know how competing standards tend to go. “Hey, there’s 3 competing standards for this system, lets make one that can replace them” (year passes) “there are now 4 competing standards!”
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    …would collaborate and come up with a standard/TDP. That would be a major selling point for me.
    Also getting it to function consistently would be a be a positive, based on reviews of the Savage and POF. I think Colt’s is the only one I haven’t seen multiple concerns come up, but possibly just due to low volume.

Feedback Score
    So the 16” version is 34” with the stock collapsed. That’s only .6” shorter than a 16” MWS collapsed according to each mfg’s specs. I’m seeing 35” for a 16” SR25 CC. A DD5V3 is 5/8” shorter than the smallish framed Ruger according to DD’s website.

Where’s the weight difference? Barrel profile? BCG mass? Lighter buffer weight? Thin, cheap handguard? If they’re cutting weight in the buffer and bcg, I’m betting it’ll have reliability problems.

Good thing it has a brake. I’m sure a 6.8lb 308 slinging 150+ grain bullets needs it. Lol, no thanks.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What does the bolt look like? Is the barrel extension the same outer diameter as in an AR-15?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    So the 16” version is 34” with the stock collapsed. That’s only .6” shorter than a 16” MWS collapsed according to each mfg’s specs. I’m seeing 35” for a 16” SR25 CC. A DD5V3 is 5/8” shorter than the smallish framed Ruger according to DD’s website.

Where’s the weight difference? Barrel profile? BCG mass? Lighter buffer weight? Thin, cheap handguard? If they’re cutting weight in the buffer and bcg, I’m betting it’ll have reliability problems.

Good thing it has a brake. I’m sure a 6.8lb 308 slinging 150+ grain bullets needs it. Lol, no thanks.
    Since it has a m16 size BCG vs a AR10 size yes the mass of the BCG is less barrel extension is smaller so the breach end of the barrel will be less , mag well back is ar15 size
    More mass in the BCG and buffer doesn’t equal reliability
    7lbs bolt action 308s are comfortable without a brake

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast